Upgrade PR900w or replacement ?

stut4

Had a 177 pr900w for a few years. Only used a handful of times. Prob less than 300 pellets through it.

have a decent hawke scope. 

seems to be a problem with it being accurate shot after shot. 
bought it originally for pest control but as it’s not accurate shot after shot ive not wanted to use it.

wondering if I should strip it and replace seals and fit a regulator, rebuild from scratch and then zero, or ditch it and get new pcp?

any suggestions or recommendations appreciated.

cheers

I purchased one about 3 years ago and found a few problems with it. I returned it and even after it was returned there was still problems. The biggest thing was that the barrel alignment with the scope cut outs were not parallel to each other which resulted in the barrel pointing downwards about 4mm over the barrel length. I took 3 more from the supplier and they were all the same. opened all the boxes in the shop and they were all down cast. He told me he was returning them all to SMK.

I had hoped to recommend them to the young shooters in the club I have run for 30 years but sadly at that time I couldn't recommend them.

An easy to spot problem that by using a 3mm Allen key between the barrel and the air cylinder, slide it from the breech to the front of the rifle, fowls before half way. Also use a straight edge across the scope dovetail cut out and visually see how far out the barrel is. The barrel also gets dragged down by the barrel support that goes around both the barre and the cylinder, not very good engineering.

One of my club members got hold of one as he needed a light weight pcp because of a shoulder injury, He very judiciously bent the barrel upwards and that solved his problem. Luckily the rifle was out of warranty, but it has been faultless since.

5 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I purchased one about 3 years ago and found a few problems with it. I returned it and even after it was returned there was still problems. The biggest thing was that the barrel alignment with the scope cut outs were not parallel to each other which resulted in the barrel pointing downwards about 4mm over the barrel length. I took 3 more from the supplier and they were all the same. opened all the boxes in the shop and they were all down cast. He told me he was returning them all to SMK.

I had hoped to recommend them to the young shooters in the club I have run for 30 years but sadly at that time I couldn't recommend them.

An easy to spot problem that by using a 3mm Allen key between the barrel and the air cylinder, slide it from the breech to the front of the rifle, fowls before half way. Also use a straight edge across the scope dovetail cut out and visually see how far out the barrel is. The barrel also gets dragged down by the barrel support that goes around both the barre and the cylinder, not very good engineering.

One of my club members got hold of one as he needed a light weight pcp because of a shoulder injury, He very judiciously bent the barrel upwards and that solved his problem. Luckily the rifle was out of warranty, but it has been faultless since.

Thank you. I’ll have a look at this closer before I spend more money on it.

Looking at the gun it certainly looks like there should be another barrel band on the cylinder,  similar to the AA 400 series.

I'm sure a second hand gun would be a big jump up in quality,  AA, BSA, HW....... 

But it looks like a good introduction to PCP air rifles. 

Cheers. Just had a look at it and tried running 4mm Allen key down it. Tighter at bottom like flyboy suggested. I had an aftermarket barrel band for the front which I’ve just added a strip of tape too on the inner side to give it a few thou extra lift between the barrel and air reserve. Better than it was. Think I’ll upgrade to a different model. Want the confidence of shot on shot before I try my pests. Last gun was a stoeger gasram springer and that would put each shot almost on top of the last, so this was A disappointment in comparison.

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

Looking at the gun it certainly looks like there should be another barrel band on the cylinder,  similar to the AA 400 series.

I'm sure a second hand gun would be a big jump up in quality,  AA, BSA, HW....... 

But it looks like a good introduction to PCP air rifles. 

Hello, I have a extra 3 D printed barrel band on mine, with a weaver rail underneath, some PCP Air rifles are better with floating barrels but not this one,

Hello, if anyone thinking of a PR 900 or finding a few problems, go on the UK AGF and find a chap called Halinfax , he's mustard on these air rifles, even putting a larger air bottle on getting 200 shots 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper