CENS Digital....are they really that good?

Westley78

Like most of us at some point I have toyed with treating myself to a pair of digital plugs and CENS are always top of the list. But is this due to the marketing or are they actually that good?

I’d also be interested to know anyone who has the DX3 or DX5, do you actually use the different modes ?

TIA

I started with CENS non-digital earplugs several years ago and quickly moved over to the digital inserts. Used them for clays, driven, rough shooting whilst working a dog, indoor rimfire shooting and .308, 6.5 and .223 from a covered shooting area. Never needed anything else and they are always in my shooting jacket pocket. I can recommend them for what I have used them for.

Purchased ..OH????  7 ...8yrs ago maybe earlier.  Yes, they still work fine.  Initially they did say return them every so often for service, so i did and they sent me a bill for £70  I contacted them and got a very curt unhelpful reply so I would not use that company again.  They have not be touched since and I clean them myself.  Still work fine and I can hear conversations 15yrds away and movement in the wood I would not normally hear.  For heavy rifle use on a range I use the CENS plus heavy duty muffs.

Thanks guys, that very useful. As you can probably guess I am trying to find out of the more expensive models are worth the additional spend.

Out of interest do you have the DX1 and if so do you find the one setting good in all situations. Or do you have the DX3 or 5 which have several settings and if so do you use the different settings?

I've been considering a pair for a while as my hearing is poor anyway. Too many years in the Army with no hearing protection.

I use over ear on clays, and some "mold yourself" off ebay in the field.

I make my grandkids wear, foam compression with over ear when they shoot with me.

Its just the price that puts me off. I watched the Lloydy vid, even spoke to him about them. Just not sure which to go for.

5 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

Lloyd Paterson did a thorough test on his YouTube channel, his concussion was to buy the dx1, I've got cfg digital's and are happy with them they now come to your door to take the impressions 

Thanks I’ll take a look 👍🏻

I bought a pair of the passives to see how I got on with them first... but didn’t take me long to revert to electronic muffs . 

Then for the 19/20 season I got a pair of the Peltor EEP-100’s following a comprehensive thread on ear protection on the Stalking Directory.....

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/electronic-earmuffs-fit.176014/

I’ve used these for shooting and for loading on double gun days they’ve been bloody brilliant!  I wasn’t keen on the inserts that came with them and use a pair of the cens mino tips and I’m still on the first pair of those with no signs of degradation to the material... apart from pulling a bit of wax out of the old lug ‘oles, they’re still clean too. 🤣 The grey malleable ones that come with the 100’s quickly got manky and grubby between drives.

Bought them from Earshot Communications and just ordered another pair on back order on behalf of a mate ....... last week, there were 5 pairs still unallocated on the next batch due in 25/3. These come with a usb lead to plug the case in but there is a more expensive pair, the LEP-100’s, that have a battery in the case for on the go charging but I didn’t think that was worth the convenience.... hasn’t worried me so far. 

https://www.earshotcommunications.co.uk/shop/product/3m-peltor-electronic-earplug-eep-100-eu/

Mino tips from here.... I originally bought from puretone retail as the postage was free but that seems to have disappeared and they’re now charging postage...☹️

https://www.puretone.net/product/mino-cens-foam-tips/

cheers

Fizz

I used passive plugs for quite a while as I found that can kept knocking on the stock and just didnt work for me on shotguns.

However once I started game shooting it was an issue as its really helpful to hear all those subtle sounds that let you know whats happening on a drive. Cans were still out the window as it would mean essentially resetting my whole mount so I did not keep banging the stock. 

I look the punt and paid out on the CENS and it was brilliant best money I have ever spent to be honest, for Game now I slip them in at the start of the day and wear them all day with full hearing and the option to amplify my hearing a bit if I feel the need.

Its really odd how like most shooters I tend to look at new guns with regard to shooting and treating yourself but its those small bits of kit that you use all the time that make the difference.