New bottle needed?

WinchesterDave

Hi, 

I have had my PCP air rifle and 300 bar refill bottle since 2018 which I bought from a friend who was selling up. 

I haven’t used it all that much since buying it but recently I have been thinking the divers bottle will be due a refill soon. As such, I have emailed a local dive shop to enquire if they are running a refill service during the pandemic for which I am awaiting their reply. 

However, I have also done some further reading around divers bottles and started to get a little worried in terms of getting the bottle tested every 5 years.. having looked at the only date I can see on my bottle it says 2014/12. Now to me, this means the bottle is way out of test date.

I presume based on this, I will need to buy a brand new bottle? If so, what happens with my current one? 

Many thanks in advance, 

Dave 👍

Edited by WinchesterDave

I'm in a similar conundrum. My bottle is coming to the end of its test, and if I can't find a place where it can be retested locally (I say within 20 miles), I'll just buy a new one. I'm going against the factor of buying new vs taking a day off work (2 x half days), driving maybe 40 mile round trip twice and the cost of retest (which I have no idea what the going rates are). 

Or just buy a new one from js Ramsbottom online. And go bigger, as I've learned 3ltr really isn't anywhere near enough. Or option 2, just buy a compressor and be done with the lot. 

I've also got stirrup pumps to get me out of the **** and tbh do the job easily enough. 

No new bottle needed, your tank is due a pressure test which is around the £50 mark, once it has passed it will be returned full. If you cannot find a dive centre that are pressure testing in the current climate you could buy a cheap pump from Amazon (around £15) to keep you going. 

Edited by bruno22rf

Hi buddy,  You need to get your bottle 'Hydro static ' pressure tested.  For this YOU DO NOT NEED A 'DIVE SHOP', they only send it to  a air tank testing company and treble the price. 

If you are any where near Liverpool CTS , will test your bottle for £15, including the fill up.   If you do some research you might be able to find an gas cylinder testing company near you.

Hello, there is a difference in the testing a diving cylinder and a 300 bar pcp air cylinder, if yours is a registered diving cylinder it will need a hydrostatic test every 5 years and a visual inspection every 2.5 years a.nd I think have a working life of ?years, a PCP cylinder is just a 5 year hydrostatic test, many people use a diving cylinder be it 232 bar or 300bar, if the dive shop knows it is for a pcp air rifle then it does not need a visual inspection and should have some form of clarification , not for diving, I have a 2 x 4 ltr inline air cylinders out of test, they were tested by a registered air cylinder testing company but noted not for diving, most PCP cylinders sold in gun shops come from www.hydrotech.co.uk, or Bisley cylinders that are solely for PCPs and guage to suite, , Dave my advice is buy a brand new 300 bar PCP air rifle cylinder , if posted will need filling, RFD should be good to go, prices vary , some dive shops sell PCP cylinders ,mine was £165, a 7ltr Hydrotech, I picked up in person before the last lockdown but not from a RFD, ,  after lockdown you could take old cylinder to be looked at and see if can test, or sell as out of test price depending on size, depending on your PCP rifle a cheap pump as Chris mentioned will help keep you shooting, mine only took 3 days and called a Greener , its just for a cheap SMK pcp, have an  adapter to fit my other 2 different fill probes, HW and FX,  good luck

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

42 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there is a difference in the testing a diving cylinder and a 300 bar pcp air cylinder, if yours is a registered diving cylinder it will need a hydrostatic test every 5 years and a visual inspection every 2.5 years a.nd I think have a working life of ?years, a PCP cylinder is just a 5 year hydrostatic test, many people use a diving cylinder be it 232 bar or 300bar, if the dive shop knows it is for a pcp air rifle then it does not need a visual inspection and should have some form of clarification , not for diving, I have a 2 x 4 ltr inline air cylinders out of test, they were tested by a registered air cylinder testing company but noted not for diving, most PCP cylinders sold in gun shops come from www.hydrotech.co.uk, or Bisley cylinders that are solely for PCPs and guage to suite, , Dave my advice is buy a brand new 300 bar PCP air rifle cylinder , if posted will need filling, RFD should be good to go, prices vary , some dive shops sell PCP cylinders ,mine was £165, a 7ltr Hydrotech, I picked up in person before the last lockdown but not from a RFD, ,  after lockdown you could take old cylinder to be looked at and see if can test, or sell as out of test price depending on size, depending on your PCP rifle a cheap pump as Chris mentioned will help keep you shooting, mine only took 3 days and called a Greener , only required an adapter to fit my 3 different fill probes, good luck

What PCP Air rifle do you have ? And where are you in UK?

How far are you from Northern Diver at Appley Bridge, they will test and refill, tell them it is for airgun use. They refilled mine just before Christmas, quick phone call to confirm a time, handed it to them at the door, filled in 10 minutes and brought the cylinder out to my car, great service.

Edited by Dave66

19 minutes ago, snow white said:

Bruno have you got a lead on those cheap pumps the only ones that I can see start around £200 not paying that when dive center will open up in couple months 

Go on Amazon UK and search PCP Air rifle 300 bar pumps, I checked yesterday and those on special deal at a fiver are all gone, the Greener were £14.99 before the deal, you can still find one around £20/£25, some come with filters, the specials did not but I found a filter for £8 , depending on your PCP you may need an adapter, I know many on the UK AGF bought loads of the specials some more than needed so you could see if anyone wants to sell one,

2 hours ago, Dave66 said:

How far are you from Northern Diver at Appley Bridge, they will test and refill, tell them it is for airgun use. They refilled mine just before Christmas, quick phone call to confirm a time, handed it to them at the door, filled in 10 minutes and brought the cylinder out to my car, great service.

Hi Dave, it’s Northern Diver I have messaged thanks 👍 

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

What PCP Air rifle do you have ? And where are you in UK?

OPP, thanks very much for your reply. The tank is a BISLEY 3ltr, 300 bar bottle. I presume a purpose built PCP one as it’s a Bisley? Rifle is a BSA R10 mk2. 

Also, just a quick thanks to all for your replies. 

Regards, 

Dave 👍 

Edited by WinchesterDave

33 minutes ago, WinchesterDave said:

Hi Dave, it’s Northern Diver I have messaged thanks 👍 

OPP, thanks very much for your reply. The tank is a BISLEY 3ltr, 300 bar bottle. I presume a purpose built PCP one as it’s a Bisley? Rifle is a BSA R10 mk2. 

Cheers 👍 

Thanks to all for your replies. 

Regards, 

Dave 👍 

Hello, yes that is for PCPs only, a R10 would be hard to pump up with a hand pump but can be done in stages, you have a few option, buy a bigger cylinder new but if posted will need a fill, find a local test shop and get the 3 ltr tested and filled but not sure on lockdown rules, it changes on 28th this month, buy a pump to be going on with, where are you in UK , I just put a wanted ad on the UK AGF ?

11 hours ago, WinchesterDave said:

Hi, 

I have had my PCP air rifle and 300 bar refill bottle since 2018 which I bought from a friend who was selling up. 

I haven’t used it all that much since buying it but recently I have been thinking the divers bottle will be due a refill soon. As such, I have emailed a local dive shop to enquire if they are running a refill service during the pandemic for which I am awaiting their reply. 

However, I have also done some further reading around divers bottles and started to get a little worried in terms of getting the bottle tested every 5 years.. having looked at the only date I can see on my bottle it says 2014/12. Now to me, this means the bottle is way out of test date.

I presume based on this, I will need to buy a brand new bottle? If so, what happens with my current one? 

Many thanks in advance, 

Dave 👍

I had my tank filled at Northern Diver, went to the door, and they took the tank in, I then waited round the back. 

If you need a top up in the mean time give me a shout.

On 14/03/2021 at 23:40, WinchesterDave said:

Hi, 

Many thanks in advance, 

Dave 👍

Dave, I have a contact who should be able to test your bottle and fill it. Not far from you. PM me if you want contact details.

12 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello Dave, did you get sorted with a cylinder ?

Hi mate, yes I got in touch with Northern Diver who confirmed refills and tests will resume from 12th April 👍 No great hurry so I can wait until then. 

11 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Dave, I have a contact who should be able to test your bottle and fill it. Not far from you. PM me if you want contact details.

Thanks for the reply Fisher 👍 I’m sorted now though for the time being cheers very much. 

Edited by WinchesterDave