Simple daily sticks

Centrepin

Inspired by the wonderful sticks shown on here i decided to have a go at some myself.

I use a stick to get about on a daily basis and need a rubber foot for grip. Shooting I need a pointed stick to dig in with a basket to prevent burying.

Mine are very much an ongoing project, work in progress as I'm also using them at the same time. My total tools are a sharp knife and some sandpaper. I've also rubbed them down in some genuine local beeswax I was given.

As they are in daily use, its unlikely they'll get "poshed" up as they get knocked and banged about. More likely they'll get running repairs😁

The one with the old half penny attached was made and dyed by my 9 year old Granddaughter. Unfortunately the dye is wearing off fast with use.

I also have another in use with an antler head, and same base. The thumb sticks are all at the very least 5 foot long.

20210315_091846.jpg

20210315_091900.jpg

20210315_091916.jpg

20210315_091926.jpg

20210315_093137.jpg

20210315_093151.jpg

20210315_093207.jpg

20210315_093224.jpg

25 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you can buy some small magnets that you glue in and use as a cartridge shell picker upper 

I tried those on a previous version and wasn't impressed, it made the stick overly heavy. I also bought a telescopic magnet, but one of the problems, for me anyway, is locating them especially if I'm watching the fall of the bird. I stopped using my semi and sold it for that reason. Despite the fact I loved it, It ejected 6 to 8 feet behind me and finding the cases was a nightmare. I refuse to leave empty cases behind and even carry a belt pouch for empties and rubbish.

Perms are hard to get and easy to loose.😁

They look great and also personal to you. I have a personal cartridge retriever, it's called a wife, pretty expensive  I know but the second hand price is pretty low these days.

I agree with you, leaving empty shells about is scruffy and uncalled for. I make evry endevour to tidy up as best I can AND often finsih up at the end of a driven day with a box full of other than 410 cases, left by oother guns.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

They look great and also personal to you. I have a personal cartridge retriever, it's called a wife, pretty expensive  I know but the second hand price is pretty low these days.

I agree with you, leaving empty shells about is scruffy and uncalled for. I make evry endevour to tidy up as best I can AND often finsih up at the end of a driven day with a box full of other than 410 cases, left by oother guns.

I don’t know how you have made it to your ripe age, making comments like that about your OH 🤣

My idea for a stick that could be used as both rubber end or hard end is as in the photos. I found a broken shooting stick so used the end as a ferrule and then turned up an attachment and fitted a rubber end. Also the round flat bit has a magnet from a speaker on it so can use to pick up cartridges as required, so can use anywhere. Have had several requests for some more

Stick1.JPG

Stick2.JPG

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

My idea for a stick that could be used as both rubber end or hard end is as in the photos. I found a broken shooting stick so used the end as a ferrule and then turned up an attachment and fitted a rubber end. Also the round flat bit has a magnet from a speaker on it so can use to pick up cartridges as required, so can use anywhere. Have had several requests for some more

Stick1.JPG

Stick2.JPG

Good idea and they're usually very strong. I used to use a shooting stick till my legs gave way one day and I face planted in the mud with the (unloaded broken) gun under me. Now it travels in the car but I try and use a chair instead if possible.

10 hours ago, Centrepin said:

The stick i use most is this, also used as a temporary monopod on occasion for the .22LR when I can't find a trigger stick bearer.

20210315_214546.jpg

20210315_214604.jpg

20210315_214623.jpg

20210315_214643.jpg

That antler fork is just crying out to be capped off with some black buffalo horn. Let me know if you would like a couple of bits and I’ll bung them in the post.

OB

I used to use the  buffalo horn caps and polish them up, until I saw some knives on here with a piece of brass on them.

Its a hell of a lot of polishing, sanding, filing, buffing, polishing etc but 

00A1153E-DEE6-46B5-A758-53C1CA194768.JPG.503bed25600be841f4cccc6ab51e699a.JPGAF41961D-6169-49B9-BBA3-BD280C5B7DE1.JPG.21fa811900086c90b14fe8e1301e837c.JPG

quite satisfying when finished

Edited by Diver One