Curlew rescue plan

On 04/04/2021 at 14:30, steve s×s said:

Do they make this (Decline in numbers up) there's plenty here and always has been, North Yorkshire,, west Yorkshire border 

Steve not sure where you are but I am stone throw frow Skipton. This time of year I see more cerlew than any other large ground bird one sat and watched me perched on a wall 30 yards away yesterday and was far more bothered about protecting its patch ! Than me or the dog ! 

That and a cock pheasant protecting its small copse send the sprocket nuts on one of our usual routes !

Agriv8

7 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Steve not sure where you are but I am stone throw frow Skipton. This time of year I see more cerlew than any other large ground bird one sat and watched me perched on a wall 30 yards away yesterday and was far more bothered about protecting its patch ! Than me or the dog ! 

That and a cock pheasant protecting its small copse send the sprocket nuts on one of our usual routes !

Agriv8

We are fortunate in the northern half of the country to have relatively good numbers of Curlew which do well especially in the uncultivated and keepered upland areas as you say.Unfortunately they are now a very rare sight in the southern half ,which is likely due to agri intensification & predation.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/burning-britains-moorland-ecological-disaster-23822597

The above is a link in a GWCT email this morning, GWCT appear to have replied with a 5 sentence letter sent to the mirror...

The reply 

Our precious heather moorland exists precisely because of thousands of years of active management, including the use of fire (Burning Britain’s moorland an environmental disaster like 'cutting down rainforest’, 30 March). Drastic changes to how our moors are managed risk unintended consequences to a vital ecosystem ratified as globally important by the 1992 Rio Convention on Biodiversity. The 13 plant communities and 18 bird species of European or international importance that call our moors home can’t take that risk.

Which is why I despair !

Despair at the fools indeed!! The supposed ecowarriors would happily see all of the rare flora & fawna go if they achieved their real aim of getting rid of grouse shooting .That is their only real target but they are trying to dress it up in other clothes to get their way .Facts don`t come into it!!!!