Dry cured bacon

243deer

1 hour ago, Pangolin said:

No worries.

It turned out great, a whole leg cured for 42 days in salt.

Then I had a few slices off it and the ****** mice got it, they went along the rafter and down the cord it was hanging from.....sore subject haha.

Ouch! that's going to be painful after all that time and care.  In my old house I had a meter cupboard that was perfect conditions for hanging them - when my daughter was around 4/5 her common question to visitors to the house was 'do you want to see Daddy's pigs legs'?

20 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Ouch! that's going to be painful after all that time and care.  In my old house I had a meter cupboard that was perfect conditions for hanging them - when my daughter was around 4/5 her common question to visitors to the house was 'do you want to see Daddy's pigs legs'?

Hahaha.

I air dryed it like this for a week, was so nice tho, I'll do another at some point.

IMAG1190.jpg

Well I grilled some of that Morrisons Dry cured this morning and split and toasted two muffins. It took three layers of bacon to make a proper sandwich and yes it was nice bacon but apart from the fact I did not get the watery stuff exuding during grilling I don't think it was as good as I buy at a local farm shop. Fortunately my wife went to Morrisons when it was a two for one price deal, so nothing lost.

That ham hanging there brings back many many memories of a childhood spent running up the stone back stairs of our farm house to check for my Grandfather, that the hams did not have any wriggly things in them. If they did a quick scrape round with a teaspoon and more preservative mixture solved the problem. I do remember the stunning hams we had at Christmas as well.

• 1 month later...

A lot of people are terrified about using nitrates in curing but Nitrates are your friend when making up your own curing salts

It's just case of using common sense there's plenty of recipes around for curing salt

a kilo of homemade curing salt goes a long long way after all