Starting stalking

grahamch

If I was looking to make an inroad into stalking, I’d opt for my DSC1  over joining a rifle club as a first step on the ladder.  Without getting into the ins and outs of whether it should be considered a pre-requisite by FEOs, you will learn a lot and it will also demonstrate some commitment towards what you are intending to do.  If you’ve already got your SGC for the pheasants, a quick chat with your FEO may be useful - I’ve always found mine to be very helpful, and as they are the ones who will be working on your FAC application, a little insider knowledge from a friendly chat is always useful.

Having gone down this route (though to be fair I was doing pest control with smaller calibres beforehand) Its well worth booking up some paid stalks and getting some experience with deer. 

Stalking directory is a good site to get on with quite a few people offering guided paid stalks who know their onions. DSC1 doesnt hurt to show commitment as well although some areas rate it more than others when considering grants.  

Joining a rifle club doesn't necessarily follow it will help you getting deer on your ticket . There was a case raised recently of one of the members on Stalking Directory having issues getting his range .308 conditioned for deer though this was eventually resolved it was kicked back a couple of times. I would personally put my money into some paid stalks to show/ gain experience and consider DSC1 as a good all round introduction.  

Whilst DSC1 is not a requirement what it does do is to take away one of the excuses for not granting as you are showing due diligence. As with any training if you are open minded there will always be at least one snippet of good practice or information that you can get from it, for newbies a lot more.

Do not be tempted to pay for pre DSC1 days though as totally unnecessary, you will learn all you need to on the course.

If you have a permission this will also help greatly.

This is a great resource https://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/best_practice/, start with learning the legal seasons and rules on minimum calibres/power and the deer ecology sections.

What DSC1 does not teach you at all are all the bits that you gain with experience - that is where a paid stalk or two with a good guide will help you get going unless you can find a kind soul to teach you and take you out for free.

47 minutes ago, Zetter said:

Having gone down this route (though to be fair I was doing pest control with smaller calibres beforehand) Its well worth booking up some paid stalks and getting some experience with deer. 

Stalking directory is a good site to get on with quite a few people offering guided paid stalks who know their onions. DSC1 doesnt hurt to show commitment as well although some areas rate it more than others when considering grants.  

Joining a rifle club doesn't necessarily follow it will help you getting deer on your ticket . There was a case raised recently of one of the members on Stalking Directory having issues getting his range .308 conditioned for deer though this was eventually resolved it was kicked back a couple of times. I would personally put my money into some paid stalks to show/ gain experience and consider DSC1 as a good all round introduction.  

THIS

9 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Whilst DSC1 is not a requirement what it does do is to take away one of the excuses for not granting as you are showing due diligence. As with any training if you are open minded there will always be at least one snippet of good practice or information that you can get from it, for newbies a lot more.

Do not be tempted to pay for pre DSC1 days though as totally unnecessary, you will learn all you need to on the course.

If you have a permission this will also help greatly.

This is a great resource https://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/best_practice/, start with learning the legal seasons and rules on minimum calibres/power and the deer ecology sections.

What DSC1 does not teach you at all are all the bits that you gain with experience - that is where a paid stalk or two with a good guide will help you get going unless you can find a kind soul to teach you and take you out for free.

AND THIS.

Joining a rifle club you are more likely to meet target shooters with no interest in, access to or knowledge of deer stalking. Not always the case, of course, and nothing wrong with target shooting, but a worst case possibility. 

As above, forget the Club route and contact some respected deer guides who will provide the rifle for your first two or three outings and show you the ropes.  I am not a lover of the DSC system BUT as a beginner you can only learn but it will cost you maybe the same as a couple of outings in the real world.  The Butchery/ carcase courses are well worth while if they still do them.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I did my DSC1 at the weekend so thought I'd chip in. I have no prior experience and a very limited theoretical knowledge of deer stalking but had enough interest to book myself on the course, I'm glad I did! 

I can understand why some say doing the DSC1 is not important, but in my case it was. I have a far better understanding of what deer management entails and what to expect during a woodland or hill stalk. The best bit for me was that the class was such a diverse mix of the inexperienced like myself right up to professional stalkers who have now been put on the course by their employers. Chatting with the experienced guys may well have opened up future opportunities to get out on stalks with them, they certainly seem keen to pass on their knowledge and appreciate that there are others willing to learn. The course instructors, in this case at least, were passionate about all aspects of deer management and are more than happy to recommend ways into stalking. The easiest option appears to be get yourself booked on a paid stalk to put the theory into practice!

The course I attended was organised by the BDS.