The Duke goes home

Walker570

Not woke either.

Calls it as it is.

As a young officer in WW2, he was mentioned in dispatches at one of the crucial battles.

I remember talking to one of the staff at Sandringham, well into his late 70s he was still racing carriages. Horse carriages. She told me on one day, he arrived back covered in mud and smelling and the Queen shouted at him, "You're not coming in my house like that"  she made him undress outside and washed him down with a hose pipe.

Normal people given the circumstances.

I know that the staff at Sandringham and Buck house love him, because he's open, honest and has no airs and graces.

Always had great admiration for him. He joined The Firm at a young age and has played the game 100% ever since.  I remember being up in the Lake District at a carriage driving competition and we stood watching a carriage and horses being prepared. My wife said, " I wonder if we will see the Duke?"   I nudged her and carefully indicated to her right handside and there standing alongside us in the crowd in a battered old deer stalker was the man himself. I am sure there was a hint of a smile on his face as he must have heard my wife.  Yes, sincerley hope he makes the Ton.

1 hour ago, derbyduck said:

seen a photo of him going down the river at Fossdyke going into the Wash to do a bit of Punt gunning , seems he was game for owt .

I know he has a fantastic private collection of rifles and shotguns, some bought, some presented. I lost myself in his collection and was chastised for time wasting after about an hour and a half of being "missing". He never to my knowledge sells or passes on firearms but was said to have been devastated when handing in his collection of handguns.

On 16/03/2021 at 11:06, Walker570 said:

The Duke left hospital this morning after going through heart surgery.  Good news for a change.  He is as tough as an old boot.

On 16/03/2021 at 11:19, Centrepin said:

I know that the staff at Sandringham and Buck house love him

My wife’s grandmother has met him a few times over the last 70 years and you can tell has always fancied the pants off of him. She still talks about how handsome he is 🤣

My mate (sadly passed now) used to win all the lurcher shows with his shaggy deerhound x grey cross type lurcher. At one point he’d won most the shows in the country... as well as regularly working the dog. 

At one show the Duke was there and made a bee like for my mate to view his dog. My mate stuck out his hand and the Duke shook it and said hello. 

The Duke remarked to my friend in a chuckle “lovely dog... does he like the Roe?”... to which my mate replied “send me an invite to the Estate and we shall find out!” 

He said the Duke found it highly amusing, and then went off on his way. 

An acquaintance was shooting with him on the Estate several years ago, and during one drive a white transit stopped on its way past and the occupants started hurling abuse .... from nowhere a bunch of Range Rovers arrived and swiftly “removed the issue”.

At the end of the drive the Duke wandered over ....

”sorry about all of that ... but let’s just call it 1-0 to us .... “ 🤣 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Somewhere on t’internet ( May have been on here?) I saw a long list of the Dukes remarks over the years. I thought they were hilarious. Has anyone else come across it?

Yes I remember when he said to a boy that he would never be an astronought because he was to fat 

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?”

(To a driving instructor in Scotland in 1995).

“If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.”

(To British students during a state visit to China, 1986).

“You look like you’re ready for bed!”

(Commenting on Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo’s traditional robe, 2003).

“You can’t have been here that long – you haven’t got a pot belly.”

(To a British man in Hungary, 1993).

“Reichskanzler.”

(Addressing German chancellor Helmut Kohl by the title last used by Hitler, 1997).

“The Philippines must be half empty as you’re all here running the NHS.”

(To a Philippine nurse at a British National Health Service hospital, 2013).

“[Children] go to school because their parents don’t want them in the house.”

(To Pakistani-born education activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai, 2013).

“Do you work at a strip club?”

(To a female Sea Cadet who said she also worked part-time in a nightclub, 2010).

“How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?”

(To the disabled rider of a mobility scooter in London, 2012).

There must be dozens more! :D