Sako Bolt

gmm243

Morning all,

Have managed to loose the bolt of my Sako .243. Was loading it into the car and think I have left the bolt on the bumper and drove off.Searched for hours last  night and this morning but no joy.(Where I live it is legal requirement to travel with bolt out of the gun)

Does anyone know if Sako do replacement bolts or is it now a case that it would cheaper to replace the rifle?Rifle was my father's made in about 1970 so I would like to keep it if possible.

I know from a long time ago Sako were very hard to contact but just wondered if anyone had any up to date dealings with them?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Was parked in a farmers yard and we were putting all the gear away and I just put it on the bumper with a view to putting it in the glove box. By the time we put the other stuff in the car it was dark and I just must have just over looked it until we were about 10 miles down the road.

Have emailed GMK and they have come back to me looking for model and serial number,they will then get in touch with Sako to see if there is any chance of getting a replacement. 

Watch this space but in the meantime I am going back out tomorrow with a metal detector and a bolt to recreate the drive to see where it might have fallen off.

Myself,my two sons and my 84 year old father walked the yards,lanes and mile of road this morning with metal detectors but no sign of the bolt.

I got a very speedy response from Sako via GMK.They said I would have to send the gun to Sako to get a new bolt fitted.Quoted me a time scale of 6-9 months and approx. £750 ish. Have to commend GMK for such speedy service. 

I know that I could buy plenty of new rifles for that money but have a sentimental attachment to this rifle so am really in a quandary about what to do.

A lot of my shooting friends have told me to grow a pair and just buy a new gun."It's only wood and metal" is a common line.

I like the history behind the gun,my Dad shot with it for years,my mum shot deer with it.Both my sons shot their first deer with it and it has been part of the family for over 40 years.I am sure there are plenty guns out there for £750 or less that would out shoot mine but I still feel sentimental about it.

As for the metal detector club that is a great idea. Not sure that there is a local club but will do a bit of research and see what I can organise.

I saw the same model and calibre for sale in Scotland,barrel is poor so price is low.Thought I could have bought it,kept the bolt and scrapped the rest but I spoke to a gunsmith who does all my work and he said there is every chance it would not fit and would prob need work to fit headspace.If that work was done it would need to be sent to the proof house.

On a happier note my FEO rang today to say there is to be no action or investigation over the loss of the bolt because I had informed him and the police as soon as it happened and did not try to hide anything.

So now in the market for a new rifle,will prob stick to the 243 but a few friends are pushing me towards the .308 as we shoot quite a few reds.

14 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

I saw the same model and calibre for sale in Scotland,barrel is poor so price is low.Thought I could have bought it,kept the bolt and scrapped the rest but I spoke to a gunsmith who does all my work and he said there is every chance it would not fit and would prob need work to fit headspace.If that work was done it would need to be sent to the proof house.

On a happier note my FEO rang today to say there is to be no action or investigation over the loss of the bolt because I had informed him and the police as soon as it happened and did not try to hide anything.

So now in the market for a new rifle,will prob stick to the 243 but a few friends are pushing me towards the .308 as we shoot quite a few reds.

Go for the 308. 

243 is going to be finished if they move over to lead free. 

11 hours ago, gmm243 said:

If the rifle means that much to you, the option above is the correct answer or buy a new bolt.  Whichever works out to be the least expensive I suppose.  Checking the headspace isn't an issue to a riflesmith.  Headspacing would need to be checked whichever way you go.

Tim

12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

243 is going to be finished if they move over to lead free. 

Sorry but that is complete rubbish. I have tested Federal Power Shok copper in 85gr through a Howa 1500 .243. Point of impact was only half an inch off Power Shok 100gr softpoint at 100m with neat circular holes showing no signs of bullet de-stabilisation. Meat damage on fallow, muntjac and roe is very similar. As always with a .243 if you take a well placed shot at a sensible disrance on the bigger deer they will drop, ask all the boys in Scotland and NZ who use them.

The only slight sticking point at the moment is Scotland insisting on 100gr minimum for reds however there have been murmers on the grapevine that this may be reduced to allow the use of copper if they make it law.

The chances are that lead will not need to be banned as the uptake of copper for venison going into the food chain is already voluntarily high, without any need for silly statements from the BDS, other organisations should take note.

Just now, 243deer said:

Sorry but that is complete rubbish. I have tested Federal Power Shok copper in 85gr through a Howa 1500 .243. Point of impact was only half an inch off Power Shok 100gr softpoint at 100m with neat circular holes showing no signs of bullet de-stabilisation. Meat damage on fallow, muntjac and roe is very similar. As always with a .243 if you take a well placed shot at a sensible disrance on the bigger deer they will drop, ask all the boys in Scotland and NZ who use them.

The only slight sticking point at the moment is Scotland insisting on 100gr minimum for reds however there have been murmers on the grapevine that this may be reduced to allow the use of copper if they make it law.

The chances are that lead will not need to be banned as the uptake of copper for venison going into the food chain is already voluntarily high, without any need for silly statements from the BDS, other organisations should take note.

As you mentioned the minimum weight for bullets is going to kill the idea off for Reds in Scotland etc.

I also know others who have tried “non-toxic” 243 in their rifles and couldn’t get it to group or stabilise. 

Whilst it might be “on the grape vine” getting an actual change in legislation takes ridiculous amounts of time, if they ever do get it sorted out at all. 

23 hours ago, gmm243 said:

Sounds a good option to me the cost involved are not that high unless the donor is silly money. 

On 18/03/2021 at 21:16, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But it will always have a surrogate bolt!

Bit like triggers broom 🤣🤣🤣

11 hours ago, 243deer said:

6.5x55 Swed is a great calibre IMHO, I have a Sako 85 in stainless. Beautiful gun.

Sounds like a 308 would be a good option for you as you’re shooting Red deer.

As your 243 means so much to you, keep an eye on the auctions. I’d look for the same model, for example in the Holts sealed bid sale, get it sent to an RFD and take the bolt to be fitted and headspaced in your current rifle, stripping the rest of the non licenceable parts as spares. Cheap way of getting a spare floor plate, magazine spring, follower, bolt release catch and spring, trigger group, stock...

I have shot a lot of reds with my 243 but shoot mostly Sika and the odd fallow.Have never felt undergunned with the 243 but do realise it is on the lower end of the recommended calibre for shooting deer.

I have shot a few deer with a friends 6.5 x55 and must say I really enjoyed using it.

The choice now will have to be made and not just in calibre but make,synthetic or not etc etc.

Will keep the old 243 and hopefully work on getting the replacement bolt sorted out and at least that way I will not be without a rifle and if I get it sorted I will have two!!