Sako Bolt

gmm243

On 20/03/2021 at 09:39, 243deer said:

Sorry but that is complete rubbish. I have tested Federal Power Shok copper in 85gr through a Howa 1500 .243. Point of impact was only half an inch off Power Shok 100gr softpoint at 100m with neat circular holes showing no signs of bullet de-stabilisation. Meat damage on fallow, muntjac and roe is very similar. As always with a .243 if you take a well placed shot at a sensible disrance on the bigger deer they will drop, ask all the boys in Scotland and NZ who use them.

The only slight sticking point at the moment is Scotland insisting on 100gr minimum for reds however there have been murmers on the grapevine that this may be reduced to allow the use of copper if they make it law.

The chances are that lead will not need to be banned as the uptake of copper for venison going into the food chain is already voluntarily high, without any need for silly statements from the BDS, other organisations should take note.

Barnes make some excellent bullets in copper so I agree.  The TSX and TTSX will do the job no problem.   The 243 for anything larger than roe is not a calibre I would choose. but many big furry things have been harvested with one all the same.  I would shop around a bit and see what turns up because as said , setting the headspace etc is not a massive problem for a competent riflesmith and with your lads coming on it would be nice for them to have something to take along in life with them.

1 hour ago, gmm243 said:

If only I had stuck it in my pocket and had not left it on the bumper.

I know you said it is a legal requirement to remove it for travel in N.I.

Other than for cleaning purposes, I have only once ever removed the bolt from my .308, to travel for a F. C. range test. I placed it in the side pocket of a heavily padded rifle slip and put it in my friend’s car. He placed his rifle case on top of it. My rifle stock bears the deep scars of two bolt lugs to this day and I will never again travel with it out of the rifle.