Speed awareness course

Rewulf

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Some insuranbce companies now ask if you have been on a speed awareness course and hike your premiums if you have, sometimes it's less hassle to take the points.

Surely the same insurance companies could ask have you been prosecuted for speeding?

What code and what penalty were you awarded and increase your premium or refuse to cover you just like they always used to.

Failure to declare was always grounds to revoke your policy too.

8 hours ago, clangerman said:

if these vans are parked facing entry into a black spot or village it would slow drivers and save lives but no they park facing the EXIT anyone explain how parking AFTER the fact achieves anything but make money 

Depends on which way the traffic is going, or have a van at both ends.

I seem to remember that the 3 year element is only applicable if caught in the same constabulory, in theory you could do a speed awareness in Suffolk 1 week, Norfolk the next and Cambridge the following, the one I attended I was the youngest there by at least 30 years and was pushing 40 at the time (age not speed)

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely the same insurance companies could ask have you been prosecuted for speeding?

What code and what penalty were you awarded and increase your premium or refuse to cover you just like they always used to.

Failure to declare was always grounds to revoke your policy too.

Yes but my point is that if you think taking the course will prevent your insurance going up then you're wrong. On the other hand afaik, there is no way they could ever find out if you have been on a course.

7 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Yes but my point is that if you think taking the course will prevent your insurance going up then you're wrong. On the other hand afaik, there is no way they could ever find out if you have been on a course.

Oh I suspect the Police or DVLA would be quite forthcoming to the Insurance Companies.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh I suspect the Police or DVLA would be quite forthcoming to the Insurance Companies.

In theory, yes. In practice it would mean insurance companies asking the police every time someone tried to get insurance. They'd soon get fed up. DVLA wouldn't have a record of speed awareness courses. 

Edited by walshie

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

A friend of mine recently did the "speed awareness course, on line"

They actually got something out of it, and has actually made them more aware  

They do work, 

When I was working in the US, the son of the Boss (arrogant, rude, over rich, loud mouthed, Porsche driving ****) got done for speeding for considerably over the speed limit, had to attend Court and was fined (IIRC $1100) plus ordered to do the USA online speed awareness course.

When I asked him how he got on with the course he replied "Easy. I paid the maid $100 and she did it in my name".

Why is there never a length of 4 x 2 around when you need it? 

Edited by Eyefor

48 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

I am about to do one of these speed awareness courses myself. I have to do it online due to covid over 3 hours & have heard mixed reviews, but if it makes people more aware then I think it will do more good than a fine & 3 points.

You will definitely learn something, and its a lot better than 3 points!

Speeding is speeding only you are to blame, you take your course/points/fine and get on with life.

What does annoy me is the placement of speed vans at points where it is difficult to see them and while they will catch you from speeding they would not have stopped you.If you have an area known for speeding then stick a gatso there, that way you have 24/7 coverage and all cars(minus the stolen ones ) will slow down making the area much safer.

If speed vans are there to prevent speeding paint them dayglo pink and place them in a place where they are highly visable, you know everyone will slow down on seeing them.

19 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

If speed vans are there to prevent speeding paint them dayglo pink and place them in a place where they are highly visable, you know everyone will slow down on seeing them.

If they eventually want to make speeding a thing of the past, why not fit all new cars (or even retro fit those that can) with a device to physically stop the driver speeding ?

My car has GPS that knows what the speed limit is on any particular road, it also has a user set speed limiter, that stops you going over a set amount.
Tie the two together and make it so it can only be unset/changed by the dealership, and there you go , no more speeding.
If you think this is an expensive option, or the technology isnt there, the limiter is standard on many vehicles, and black box technology for learners has been around for a long time now, my Scenic is over 10 years old.
It CAN be done, it just isnt, and for that you have to wonder why.

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

If they eventually want to make speeding a thing of the past, why not fit all new cars (or even retro fit those that can) with a device to physically stop the driver speeding ?

My car has GPS that knows what the speed limit is on any particular road, it also has a user set speed limiter, that stops you going over a set amount.
Tie the two together and make it so it can only be unset/changed by the dealership, and there you go , no more speeding.
If you think this is an expensive option, or the technology isnt there, the limiter is standard on many vehicles, and black box technology for learners has been around for a long time now, my Scenic is over 10 years old.
It CAN be done, it just isnt, and for that you have to wonder why.

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Revenue!

And there's your answer .

15 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I attended a speed awareness course around four or five years ago . I quite enjoyed it to be honest , and I definitely learned a bit of new stuff , and got updated on a bit of old stuff that I'd forgotten. 

How fast were you driving your dust cart?:w00t:

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I doubt that very much, the police do not release such information and I very much doubt that DVLA even know you've been on a course. PS, just spoken to a lass that works for TVP, if somebody refuses or gives a false name etc after being involved in a motor accident (to the other driver) his/her insurance company can ask the police to share their details of the accident if they were called but they would have to pay for such unformation, getting the SAC policy details on Saturday.

Edited by bruno22rf

4 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I doubt that very much, the police do not release such information and I very much doubt that DVLA even know you've been on a course.

So when you get caught in one of those parking traps with the tiny signs that firms like Parking Eye use, how do they get your details?

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How fast were you driving your dust cart?:w00t:

31 bins per hour 😅.

I got clocked doing 34 MPH, on a 30 MPH  stretch of country road .  The stretch of road has been national speed limit forever,  but unbeknown to me , it was dropped to a 30 zone for about  four or five hundred yards. I drove through it at 4 am ( going shooting ) , and I didn't see the new speed signs ( they were , and still are, hidden by trees) , I didn't see the speed signs on my way home either , for the same reason,  and I got nobbled by the camera van as i came to end of the 30 MPH zone.  It's a piece of road that most drivers would slow down for anyway , as theirs a couple of bends and junctions( but no nearby houses) . To be honest , I've been driving that piece of road , for thirty something years ,  and don't ever recall seeing another vehicle enter or exit the junctions ,but someone somewhere must have  thought that the speed restrictions were needed for some reason. 

Given the state of the road signage,  I could have probably fought (and won) if I'd chosen to go to court , but I really didn't fancy months of anger and bitterness,  and several days off work for court appearances,  when it could be sorted in a few hours sitting in a classroom,  and at less than the cost of a few hours wages, and like I said , I walked away with new information, that I wouldn't have got , had I not attended the course.