Scrap lead

Steve brownell

Speak to your local .22 rifle clubs. they have to clean up the bullet traps from time to time.

Just to share my experience I used to cast bullets  to reload for .38 special and 9mm (yes I'm not young!)

when you melt the lead do it outside (not in the kitchen) and make sure when you follow safe procedures. mask goggles gloves  etc etc etc

DON'T DO THIS > ((Esp if have u  washed muck off the lead and jacketed heads and you think that it is bone dry before you  ladle it in the bubbling pot.)) <DON'T DO THIS

(melting point of lead 327.5 deg C)

Only by the grace of God was I not blinded when water turned to steam and I had a mini lead version of Mt Vesuvius. (the scars on my hands are a reminder!)

best 

gdadphil

Speak to a roofer, I am still making fishing weights from the scrap flashing from my daughter's roof. I also have a fair amount of lead piping from fields but most of that has been converted to weights, however I will reiterate what @gdadphilsaid, make sure it is bone dry and has no pockets of water in it, water turns to steam at a ratio of around 1000:1 so even a drop or two will spray molten lead a good distance

I get mine by exchanging scrap (deprimed) rifle brass for lead at the local scrappy. They will sell scrap lead for around £2 per kg. It will need some antimony to harden it and some tin to help casting it.

Range lead is fine but can be cut 50% with pure lead.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2021 at 22:23, Steve brownell said:

Hi guys 

I hope someone can help me out I’m looking for some scrap lead to buy for shot making if anyone has any knocking around that they want rid off I would be happy to pay a fair price 

thanks in advance lads 

Got a load of lead here with harder in it when I use to make my own lead shot all melted down with the hard er put in it but South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 I live if you ever down this way , witch way do you do your shot drip into what liquid 

4 minutes ago, db58 said:

Got a load of lead here with harder in it when I use to make my own lead shot all melted down with the hard er put in it but South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 I live if you ever down this way , witch way do you do your shot drip into what liquid