More steel to the market

34 minutes ago, wisdom said:

I may be missing something here.Probably down to manufacturing.Steel is £400 a ton less than lead so surely they should be cheaper cartridges.

I also can not understand why there such a big price difference between steel and lead, just looked on Clay&Game website at the price for loose steel and lead….steel 10kg 6s £36, lead 10kg 6s £37.50.

12 minutes ago, old'un said:

I also can not understand why there such a big price difference between steel and lead, just looked on Clay&Game website at the price for loose steel and lead….steel 10kg 6s £36, lead 10kg 6s £37.50.

The cost of steel shot is in the manufacture, it cannot be melted and poured like lead

14 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Biodegradable wads do not come cheap and the business expect a quick return on their investments.

remember unless it states it, most steel shot cartridges are not using biodegradable wads, only the much more expensive offerings as far as I can tell.

If most are using plastic wads (not biodegradable) and steel is cheaper than lead why is there such a big price difference? I do understand that volume sales should see the price of steel cartridges come down, but I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

The cost of steel shot is in the manufacture, it cannot be melted and poured like lead

but loose steel is cheaper than lead?

19 hours ago, old'un said:

presumably the new and pointless eco wads are costly to make. use lead and fibre wads and prob is solved

This whole thing is a absolute farce! Lead shot, fibre wad, paper case, all naturally occurred materials, we had this years ago and it work! (modern technology my ar_ _) the Lead is in the environment not like plastic, fixing something that isn't broken or what. 🤭

6 hours ago, steve s×s said:

This whole thing is a absolute farce! Lead shot, fibre wad, paper case, all naturally occurred materials, we had this years ago and it work! (modern technology my ar_ _) the Lead is in the environment not like plastic, fixing something that isn't broken or what. 🤭

Have you been asleep for a few years or something?

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

That’s a lot cheaper than I’m paying for my favourite cartridge in lead, but I’m still stockpiling. 🙂

Dont now what load you are buying in lead but those Gamebore Super Steel at £199 per thousand are 21g 7.5s

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

That’s a lot cheaper than I’m paying for my favourite cartridge in lead, but I’m still stockpiling. 🙂

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Dont now what load you are buying in lead but those Gamebore Super Steel at £199 per thousand are 21g 7.5s

I bought a couple of slabs to try on clays only, sort of evaluate them myself. I found very little difference if any.

I only ever use 21gram x 7.5s or 8s on clays, never seen a clay that couldn't be broken by one. Don't see the point in using heavier loads if lower works and I'm not a competitive shot. Its not like I'm leaving wounded clays to suffer.😅

3 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I bought a couple of slabs to try on clays only, sort of evaluate them myself. I found very little difference if any.

I only ever use 21gram x 7.5s or 8s on clays, never seen a clay that couldn't be broken by one. Don't see the point in using heavier loads if lower works and I'm not a competitive shot. Its not like I'm leaving wounded clays to suffer.😅

Have you tried them on pigeons? I use 28g 7.5 on pigeons (lead) I just wondered what these 21g 7.5 steel would be like on the Pigeons.

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

Have you tried them on pigeons? I use 28g 7.5 on pigeons (lead) I just wondered what these 21g 7.5 steel would be like on the Pigeons.

No, not yet. I just don't get that many pigeons on my perm to chance an experiment with 21gram steel. Maybe if I had more pigeon or crow, or maybe 28/30gram I might chance it.