Why my seven year old will not be taking £1 to school for Comic Relief tomorrow.

enfieldspares

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay peanuts, what do you get?

"The accounts say that the charity saved £500,000 through automating backroom tasks, and another £250,000 by moving its donations platform in-house.

Its investment portfolio is worth just over £130m, and gains on that portfolio cover operational costs including staff salaries, office rent and fundraising costs."

7 minutes ago, henry d said:

Pay peanuts, what do you get?

Are you even allowed to say that anymore :lol:

7 minutes ago, henry d said:

"The accounts say that the charity saved £500,000 through automating backroom tasks, and another £250,000 by moving its donations platform in-house.

It still spent 14 million £ on wages though , some of them very fat pay packets for people who likely dont DO a lot.
But nice attempt at deflection from the OPs point..as usual.

10 minutes ago, henry d said:

Its investment portfolio is worth just over £130m, and gains on that portfolio cover operational costs including staff salaries, office rent and fundraising costs."

And heres me thinking that money was to be spent helping people :|
When in actuality , its 'invested' to pay staff and rent ?
Last time I worked for charity , thats exactly what it was , unpaid ...charity...
This is a JOB , working for a BUSINESS , and a pretty lucrative one at that, and as a charity , it wont pay taxes, nice !

You forgot to mention the £117 million that Comic Relief in need hold in their account, anybody considering donating would be better off buying a red, white and blue nose from the Jim Davidson charity. Pop onto youtube and have a quick listen to Alex Belfield discussing the matter.

Edited by bruno22rf

17 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

You forgot to mention the £117 million that children in need hold in their account, anybody considering donating would be better off buying a red, white and blue nose from the Jim Davidson charity. Pop onto youtube and have a quick listen to Alex Belfield discussing the matter.

I was going to suggest the same - luckily I am not working tomorrow - it could have been uncomfortable when I just went no when the bucket came round - I know where my donation is going!!!

Personally I’m shocked that they can’t find a CEO who can run a massive organisation, in charge of thousands of staff, organising events and different parts that are immensely complex, that is willing to work for minimum wage?! 

Surely there are LOADS of people out there with the skills and ability to run multi million pounds companies successfully and manage thousands of staff who don’t mind workout for £8.21 an hour?! 

Im sure many on here would be more than happy to go and work in far less complicated sectors and jobs with significantly less responsibility for £8.21 an hour wouldn’t they?! 

Hell, if they can’t find someone suitable qualified and skilled just stick any old numpty who is willing to work for £8.21 in charge?! 

What’s the worst that could happen? 🤷‍♂️ 

Running a company of that size is easy isn’t it?! 

Edited by Lloyd90

I dont know if it already happens. I think it would be a good idea for all of them to publish their actual yield. This being the actual percentage amount their good causes actually receive as a proportion of donations. The public could then gauge which ones were being run efficiently and which others were not. I have heard some only give about 10% of their donation to beneficiaries 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Personally I’m shocked that they can’t find a CEO who can run a massive organisation, in charge of thousands of staff, organising events and different parts that are immensely complex, that is willing to work for minimum wage?! 

Comic Relief. £200,000 for the CEO? Heck that's more than the Prime Minster is paid. What exactly does a charity do that needs someone to be paid at the same level as the CEO of a manufacturing industry, an insurance business, a logistics company?

What "risk" does a charity have in terms of wrong levels of stock, fluctuations in energy prices affecting its manufacturing costs, changes in the law on the safety features of products, possible lawsuits for faulty products or costs of product recalls?

And what other of these other multi million pound organisations have any (say three or four) of their frontline staff in every one of their face to face retail shops (that AFAR also pay no business rates)  working free for no salary, no employer's workplace pension obligations, no employer's national insurance contributions, obligations on statutory sick pay, maternity pay and etc., etc.?

7 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Comic Relief. £200,000 for the CEO? Heck that's more than the Prime Minster is paid. What exactly does a charity do that needs someone to be paid at the same level as the CEO of a manufacturing industry, an insurance business, a logistics company?

What "risk" does a charity have in terms of wrong levels of stock, fluctuations in energy prices affecting its manufacturing costs, changes in the law on the safety features of products, possible lawsuits for faulty products or costs of product recalls?

And what other of these other multi million pound organisations have any (say three or four) of their frontline staff in every one of their face to face retail shops (that AFAR also pay no business rates)  working free for no salary, no employer's workplace pension obligations, no employer's national insurance contributions, obligations on statutory sick pay, maternity pay and etc., etc.?

Why don’t you write to them and ask them? 🤷‍♂️