Odd Man Out

wymberley

I'm hoping a Beretta or 20 bore (or both) man can help. I've done nothing to the two recent purchases as I became unsure soon after I bought them whether or not I would actually use them. However, as all is now looking OK, I got them out to have a look see as to what I was going to do. The 12 is simple, just a choke adjustment. So also should have been the 20 with a barrel re-blue and again opening the chokes, but I have an anomaly 

The Beretta is a S56E from '77. The proof marks are as they should be with no 'extras'. The gun is in superb condition for its age with only signs of little use and with no indication of being 'tarted or puffed up' somewhere along the line. The choke measurements tally with the stamped circles for 1/4 by 3/4, or more precisely what should be those chokes, because the barrels measure one thou' each side of .630". The immediate suspicion is contradicted by the fact that each barrel is stamped 16.0 and also 0.970 kgs is there being Italian and it currently weighs in at 958g so not a lot, if any, is missing.

Before writing "anomaly", I'd put 'problem', but it's not. The gun shoots exactly where I want it to - the plate at UKGRs from whence it came and I'm well pleased, but can't help wondering if I've not got the first ever -  by a couple of decades -  back bored gun!

Is there something that I don't know? The plan is as soon as we're allowed out and things open up is to take both guns up the road to be sorted so hopefully I'll get an answer at that point. However, in the meantime any info would be welcomed.