My own stupid fault - dog eaten sultanas

Agriv8

So grabbing some lunch and loading van up for a walk round the farm on tree rat patrol so dog sees gun and starts to get excited the normal for an excitable 1 and a bit year old Sprocker! Usually she gets loaded in the crate In van !

Me being daft had left some toasted fruit loaf on the side got distracted and yes the little ****** helped her self ! 

currently she is being made sick by vet  which is likley to be a claim on her dog insurance out of hours emergency!

Is there anyway to induce vomiting in a dog or is it best left to the vets ?

So annoyed with myself a two minutes laps of concentration is all it took ! 

Agriv8

51 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

So grabbing some lunch and loading van up for a walk round the farm on tree rat patrol so dog sees gun and starts to get excited the normal for an excitable 1 and a bit year old Sprocker! Usually she gets loaded in the crate In van !

Me being daft had left some toasted fruit loaf on the side got distracted and yes the little ****** helped her self ! 

currently she is being made sick by vet  which is likley to be a claim on her dog insurance out of hours emergency!

Agriv8

No, there is no safe way, best left to the vets.

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Agriv8

They are quick, I've wondered about making a dog sick without vet. Good luck with Insurance

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Toasted fruit loaf not advisable for a dog then?  Not heard that, put me in the picture.

When I was a lot younger and did a fair bit of beating on various shoots most of the beaters with dogs always had a Mars Bar in their pocket for their dog, never seen any dogs fall ill from eating a Mars Bar.

Apologies for my ignorance but I have owned three Labs well three dustbins with automatic lids. Mind the most interesting was a very bright red pile of poo in the middle of the yard one morning after my Vizsla had been let out. Turned out to be a bright red woollen glove belonging to my wife she mislaid two days before.  Had a GSP which when up in Scotland devoured a whole supply of scones and was non the worse for wear.

Hope your little pooch is non the worse for it's indiscretion.

Edited by Walker570

I doubt the amount of sultanas in a bit of fruit load would have caused issue but better safe than sorry. 

Ted are a whole box of 6 large mince pies one Xmas off the kitchen counter. 

Since they have a large number of whatever in each off to the vet we went who induced vomiting, the vet nurse said it should take about 15 minutes. 

About 2 minutes later Ted threw up a mixture of his breakfast of raw green tripe and mince pies all over the vet nurse. 

She said in her 30 year career it’s the most disgusting thing she had personally experienced!! 

Hope your dogs better soon :) 

She’s fine - showed the vet the loaf and the fact she’d had two slices. The vet said not worth chancing it a 15kg dog 4 sultanas can be fatal due to liver failure ( not a good way to go ) in some cases just 1 ! Is enough!  But no way telling some dogs will be fine eating loads some it’s a couple.

shes On a fully comp insurance policy and just over a year old so not prepared to risk it as the wife would have killed me if owt happened to her 

Still kicking myself but I’ll get over it the joys of dog ownership 

atb Agriv8 and Pip

17 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

She’s fine - showed the vet the loaf and the fact she’d had two slices. The vet said not worth chancing it a 15kg dog 4 sultanas can be fatal due to liver failure ( not a good way to go ) in some cases just 1 ! Is enough!  But no way telling some dogs will be fine eating loads some it’s a couple.

shes On a fully comp insurance policy and just over a year old so not prepared to risk it as the wife would have killed me if owt happened to her 

atb Agriv8 and Pip

Glad she’s ok. Years ago my Mrs shouted at me as I had apparently eaten the very rich chocolate cake things she had made, with 100% coco and dark chocolate. I had no idea what she was talking about...silly woman had left a plate of them on the table and my terrier had helped himself. Vets immediately to induce vomiting. He loves the smell of chocolate, he occasionally gets a tiny bit of milk chocolate or white chocolate but nothing with much coco in it. 

2 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

3 second rule no good with 2 second sprocker !

My cocker is a thieving so and so...he’ll have a cheese sandwich off your plate if you even so much as glance at something. When he was a pup he snagged the massively overpriced sausage from my hotdog at chatsworth show once as I sat down on a bench to eat it. £8 down the dog! lol 😂 

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

atb Agriv8 and Pip

To the best of my knowledge this is correct although in my experience rare. 

Grapes can be deadly to dogs, in rare cases one can be enough, in other dogs they could eat bags and bags with no ill effect. They are not sure why this is. But one things for sure, they are best avoided at all costs for our dogs. 

12 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

To the best of my knowledge this is correct although in my experience rare. 

Grapes can be deadly to dogs, in rare cases one can be enough, in other dogs they could eat bags and bags with no ill effect. They are not sure why this is. But one things for sure, they are best avoided at all costs for our dogs. 

Agree they can be very bad for the dogs 

although some considerations should be given to 

raw grapes 

dried fruit 

and fruit cooked 

I personally think the level of toxins is reduced through the process 

4 hours ago, London Best said:

I threw raw grapes to numerous labs for over thirty years before I heard it was not good for them. Never saw any ill effects. I do not do it any more.

And that's the problem, in some dogs they could literally eat them all day with no problems. In others one grape could kill them. 

Washing soda crystals pushed straight down their throat is a bit unpleasant for the dog but it's what we always used to induce emesis in dogs in the old days before the advent of apomorphine. Mind you apomorphine can be just as unpleasant for some dogs. Was once found in every household in the laundry/ cleaning dept. You can still get washing soda crystals if you search. A crystal about the size/ shape of a raisin is enough. No point in giving it 2 hours after dog has eaten toxic substance  but worth doing &  will work before that.

I have my doubts about panicking with chocolate below 70% cocoa solids & with raisins, grapes etc.. Has to be best practice when the vet is consulted though! Dicoumerol rat poisons are a different matter... get the crystals down their throat asap.

3 hours ago, pbutd said:

Washing soda crystals pushed straight down their throat is a bit unpleasant for the dog but it's what we always used to induce emesis in dogs in the old days before the advent of apomorphine. Mind you apomorphine can be just as unpleasant for some dogs. Was once found in every household in the laundry/ cleaning dept. You can still get washing soda crystals if you search. A crystal about the size/ shape of a raisin is enough. No point in giving it 2 hours after dog has eaten toxic substance  but worth doing &  will work before that.

I have my doubts about panicking with chocolate below 70% cocoa solids & with raisins, grapes etc.. Has to be best practice when the vet is consulted though! Dicoumerol rat poisons are a different matter... get the crystals down their throat asap.

Yes she’s has the odd bit of milk chocolate (stolen)  as well but there are a few calculators on the web that indicate if you need to worry as it’s a known amount to dog weight issue the amount of coco solids is the problem . 

thanks Agriv8 

On 21/03/2021 at 20:12, pbutd said:

Glad someone else said about the washing soda crystals. I've a book by Jackie drakeford and mark elliot  and that is one of the suggestions for emergency use if your dog eats something poisonous 

For completion the bought by many dog policy have agreed to pay claim ( submitted on line sat afternoon). That’s a result as the website indicates it can take up to 2 weeks due to COVID staffing levels

so happy about that I am sure my premium will go up a bit but hey ho.

regards Agriv8 

Recently my two year old pointer unbeknownst to me ate a nice bowl of pork an mushroom stroganoff he soon became unwell and threw up. It is was on the second or third spew that I could see the mushrooms and after a couple more goes at it I was sure he was empty. He soon recovered I have never seen a dog go anywhere near a mushroom before, they even repulse at the smell, so the only person I can blame it on is my wife for making them taste so good.🤨