My own stupid fault - dog eaten sultanas

Agriv8

On 21/03/2021 at 10:18, London Best said:

I threw raw grapes to numerous labs for over thirty years before I heard it was not good for them. Never saw any ill effects. I do not do it any more.

Labs are walking dustbins as you well know.  Still best to be careful though. I had never heard of a problem either.

On 21/03/2021 at 10:18, London Best said:

I threw raw grapes to numerous labs for over thirty years before I heard it was not good for them. Never saw any ill effects. I do not do it any more.

snap . its only been the last few years that i learned that you shouldnt feed chocolate , grapes etc , to your dog . id certainly never risk it again though.

On 24/03/2021 at 12:18, cardigun said:

A few years ago, my old Lab eat the remains of a box of Quality Street ( about a dozen chocolates ).  We didn't know where they had gone till he started Pooing  silver paper covered droppings.  Didn't seem to do him any harm.

Chocolate isn't poisonous, the cocoa in it becomes toxic when too much is consumed. How much is too much, depends on several factors like what type of chocolate, white chocolate has far less cocoa than milk, which has less than dark or cooking chocolate and of course the size of dog has a huge impact to. 

25 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Chocolate isn't poisonous, the cocoa in it becomes toxic when too much is consumed. How much is too much, depends on several factors like what type of chocolate, white chocolate has far less cocoa than milk, which has less than dark or cooking chocolate and of course the size of dog has a huge impact to. 

There are a couple of calculators on the web where you put dog weight breed and chocolate type in and how much dog has consumed. Will return details if you should talk to vet iirc. Also details what you should look for if the chocolate is affecting you dog.

https://www.vets-now.com/dog-chocolate-toxicity-calculator/

Agriv8

Edited by Agriv8