Binocular recommendations

52 minutes ago, Mightymariner said:

I am after a new pair of binoculars, approx between £50-£100.

Last pair in my recently stolen Defender along with some other kit I am now replacing.

Any recommendations would be good.

Last pair were Olympus but not sure I want those again.

One of the things that puts me off another Defender.

Try Argos, I bought a reasonable pair for around £40. Not the best but I'm not worried about them knocking around in my bag or the Range Rover. 

20210320_180202.jpg

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Bought my wife a pair of Hawke a few years ago now and they are as good if not better than my Swarovs.  Worth a look but may be a bit more than you are budgeting for.

Sorry to hear about the Defender loss.

Which models? My hawke (nature trek) are absolutely no where near my swaro el, like comparing apples with formula 1 cars 

30 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Hell of a difference in price too.

Yes, I sometimes wonder if the supposed benefit outrides the extremely higher price.... remind me, how much for a pair of Swarovs these days.  I know mine cost me two weeks wages way back in 1985.  Back then I also had a pair of 10x40 s by some unknown named maker.  I sat in a high seat one evening and my guide had a similar pair but in black rubber. Compared the two and his were Zeiss and priced about 15 times higher as to mine. They were identical right down to the molding marks in the rubber.  Obviously both made by the same far eastern company.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Bought my wife a pair of Hawke a few years ago now and they are as good if not better than my Swarovs.  Worth a look but may be a bit more than you are budgeting for.

Sorry to hear about the Defender loss.

I have some Hawke Frontier ED, they were at the upper end of Hawke range but they are brilliant - at the time all the reviews compared them to Swarovs 

16 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Hell of a difference in price too.

Yep, I recon the swaros are twice as good but 15 times the price... pays your money and takes your choice... However, I wouldn’t buy the Swaros, they were a gift.

2 hours ago, PPP said:

Yep, I recon the swaros are twice as good but 15 times the price... pays your money and takes your choice... However, I wouldn’t buy the Swaros, they were a gift.

I used to use a set of Kahles binoculars when I was deer stalking. They were excellent, but far to good to leave in the cupboard. I sold them and bought the Hawke ones. Obviously not as good, but, for the money, I was more than happy.

On 20/03/2021 at 18:02, Centrepin said:

One of the things that puts me off another Defender.

Try Argos, I bought a reasonable pair for around £40. Not the best but I'm not worried about them knocking around in my bag or the Range Rover. 

20210320_180202.jpg

Thanks, actually I was looking at these, look decent for what I want.

I am like a moth to a flame, would like to get another Defender but my head says no. Have bought a Freelander for the time being, while I decide what to do next. 

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I used to use a set of Kahles binoculars when I was deer stalking. They were excellent, but far to good to leave in the cupboard. I sold them and bought the Hawke ones. Obviously not as good, but, for the money, I was more than happy.

Definitely good for the money, the only issue I have with baker, and I have/had a bunch of their stuff, is how much I’ve had to rely on warranty ?.

1 hour ago, Mightymariner said:

Thanks, actually I was looking at these, look decent for what I want.

I am like a moth to a flame, would like to get another Defender but my head says no. Have bought a Freelander for the time being, while I decide what to do next. 

Yup, that's why I bought a Range Rover, nearly as good as a defender but luxury with it.

The binos are OK BTW, ideal for recces and not too expensive if you damage them. They are quite hard wearing, I keep mine in a canvas pouch and don't bother with lens caps so there always mucky but wipe up clean ok.

A few 'general points' on binos;

Unless you are going to use them in dusk, dawn, twilight etc., you don't need big objective lenses.  They add weight and bulk as well as cost.  In good light 8 x 20 can be very good and what they loose in (slightly less) field of view - they make up for in convenience being genuinely 'pocketable'.

Expensive (Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss etc.) are very very good, but you really pay for that (relatively small) gain in performance over more modestly priced stuff.

There is some sense in having a small, cheap pocketable pair with will be very adequate in most conditions, can be 'always with you' so easily and won't be a worry if lost/damaged.

We bought a pair of Barr and Stroud Sahara 8 x 42, they are excellent for daytime use, waterproof, nitrogen filled, rubber cased and right in the middle of your budget

I bought from a fellow deer stalker who is far more experienced than I am in optics that are value for money

Review here https://www.birdguides.com/reviews/binoculars/barr-stroud-sahara-8x32-and-8x42-binoculars/

best price I could find new here https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/barr-stroud-sahara-8-x-42-binoculars.html

These are bit more than your budget but well worth it , vortex crossfire , bought an 8x42 pair , think I paid around £150, fantastic quality, lifetime guarantee  and come with a padded chest harness , I was like you didn’t want to spend a fortune but glad I spent a little extra !