How accurate for a cheep air rifle .22

Agriv8

So guy still reducing the rat population down my mates farm. 

the numbers are reducing 25 have been sorted with the 410 and mod. But as you can imagine flashing a torch about soon has the scurrying for cover.

I have borrowed a Remington Tyrant  and bolted on a photon xt IR NV and was zeroing it in yesterday. The little gun seems to have a good bit of hitting power ( webbly accu pell ) embedding the pellets in the tree the target was pinned to.

So zeroing in using my home made rifle cradle i was struggling at 30m to get a pellet group is this the limit of accuracy do you think

round the farm I think most rats will be 10m to 15m so I am guessing zero to a pellet group at 20m. So pellets in 3 cm circle

I am new to these air guns and scopes 

thanks Agriv8 

Edited by Agriv8
Spelling

With the correct pellet then about an inch at 20 yards I would think would be achievable with that rifle, the action is used in lots of different rifles with different barrel , stock , and sight combinations. It is one of two popular actions in common use today, some people re crown the barell and report an improvement in accuracy and there is a stainless roller mod that can be done to the trigger which improves it no end.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

With the correct pellet then about an inch at 20 yards I would think would be achievable with that rifle, the action is used in lots of different rifles with different barrel , stock , and sight combinations. It is one of two popular actions in common use today, some people re crown the barell and report an improvement in accuracy and there is a stainless roller mod that can be done to the trigger which improves it no end.

Thanks for taking the time - will zero at 20m and see how I get on.

while I have a thread running what pellets would you recommend for rat pest control? Interns of accuracy and hitting power ?

Thanks Agriv8 

I've the xp which is the other remington. Awesome springer for the money once fettled. Tbt kit, polish ends ect ect 

Anyway I don't know if they have the same barrels, but mine hates accupel, it's flavour of choice is jsb exact rs. Sub inch groups at 25yards. But I had to bed that gun in, I've never had a springer that needed so many pellets through it to settle the barrel in. Must of been a tin of 500. 

I've never heard of good things of using nv on a springer either

Oh mines . 22

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

I've the xp which is the other remington. Awesome springer for the money once fettled. Tbt kit, polish ends ect ect 

Anyway I don't know if they have the same barrels, but mine hates accupel, it's flavour of choice is jsb exact rs. Sub inch groups at 25yards. But I had to bed that gun in, I've never had a springer that needed so many pellets through it to settle the barrel in. Must of been a tin of 500. 

I've never heard of good things of using nv on a springer either

Oh mines . 22

Thanks strimmer the nv was been used as a spotter so made sense  to mount it on something so will see how I get on and report back. The gun has had less than a tin of pellets through it so maybe a bit of newness- interesting to red that your does not like the accupell- will look at getting a tin of jsp s

thanks again Agriv8 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, is that a spring rifle ? If so I would never put a Photon on a spring air rifle, there's a nice Air Arms S 200 22 on gun watch, your get 40 yard zero, plus/minus 1/2 inch, most cheap springers like superdomes, 

This.

The Photon won't survive long?

28 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

So why will the photon nv not last long on the Springer ? Sorry as I say new to all this 

The vibration of the spring may not be ideal for the photons electronics , a PCP will have no affect with Night vision , if your needing night vision a lot on the farm I would invest in a PCP, you can use the springer in day time as rats will show themselves if any food about, get a cheapy hawke scope for day time, £50/60 these are shock proof and good warranty, the XT I/R should be ok to 30 yards any more a T38 I/R torch will do 60/80/100 yards and use the side weaver rail mount, hope all goes well 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

29 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

The vibration of the spring may not be ideal for the photons electronics , a PCP will have no affect with Night vision , if your needing night vision a lot on the farm I would invest in a PCP, you can use the springer in day time as rats will show themselves if any food about, get a cheapy hawke scope for day time, £50/60 these are shock proof and good warranty, the XT I/R should be ok to 30 yards any more a T38 I/R torch will do 60/80/100 yards and use the side weaver rail mount, hope all goes well 👍

Ok understand now so it’s down to the vibration of the spring and piston and therefore more vibration through the electric gubbins that creates the image. 

will have a look at a pcp but these are the ones with a tank that will need pressurising so I guess these will be both sub 12ft pounds and those that require a full rifle  license

2 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Ok understand now so it’s down to the vibration of the spring and piston and therefore more vibration through the electric gubbins that creates the image. 

will have a look at a pcp but these are the ones with a tank that will need pressurising so I guess these will be both sub 12ft pounds and those that require a full rifle  license

Hello, if just for ratting and short range rabbit a sub 12 ft llb PCP will do all you need, if it has an air tube a PCP pump will do the job no problem, and your XT will be easy to fit and good for 30 yard zero, , I would not think a FAC air rifle pellet( over 12 ft llb) would be beneficial as would go through a rat like cheese 🤔😁, I would research some suitable PCPs but that Air Arms S200 in 22 is the sort of rifle many use for rat shooting, much depends on your budget, and pumps can go from £20 to £150/60, plenty of forum members have a PCP so worth asking more questions once you decide to go for one, 

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if just for ratting and short range rabbit a sub 12 ft llb PCP will do all you need, if it has an air tube a PCP pump will do the job no problem, and your XT will be easy to fit and good for 30 yard zero, , I would not think a FAC air rifle pellet( over 12 ft llb) would be beneficial as would go through a rat like cheese 🤔😁, I would research some suitable PCPs but that Air Arms S200 in 22 is the sort of rifle many use for rat shooting, much depends on your budget, and pumps can go from £20 to £150/60, plenty of forum members have a PCP so worth asking more questions once you decide to go for one, 

Hello, where are you in UK ?

8 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Doing a bit of reading on pcp so thanks for the heads up - Gods Own Yorkshire Close to Skipton. 

thanks Agriv8 

Hello, another thing to remember is the Photon XT can be a bit of a hassle to get zero on some PCP Air rifles and need to be shimmed on the mounts, or you can buy special mounts that make it easier but are more expensive, or you can get an add on night vision, goes on the back of your day scope, once you decide on the PCP rifle you can ask on the NV fitting

3 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one was put a photon on my old BSA super sport, now I’m buy a pcp bsa ultra! 

ratting is get quite addictive and expensive. 

Hello, yes can be an expensive time just to shoot ratty 🤔😁 , try the Ultra CLX ? That's £10 extra per rat 😁

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, another thing to remember is the Photon XT can be a bit of a hassle to get zero on some PCP Air rifles and need to be shimmed on the mounts, or you can buy special mounts that make it easier but are more expensive, or you can get an add on night vision, goes on the back of your day scope, once you decide on the PCP rifle you can ask on the NV fitting

Ah now here is a thing after a bit of investigation the tube is attached to the head via 4 bolt slacken those of and there is adjustment on the collar if you have run out on your X and Y wouldn't do on a scope with warranty or NEW but it worked on mine !  there are a couple of you tube clips if you want to go down that route. but a good pair of mounts does make more sense !

still confused if there is more vibration on a springer than say a high power rifle but will bow to the knowlegable folk on here -  pcp seems to make sense especial having a multishot mag. 

ATB Agriv8

18 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Ah now here is a thing after a bit of investigation the tube is attached to the head via 4 bolt slacken those of and there is adjustment on the collar if you have run out on your X and Y wouldn't do on a scope with warranty or NEW but it worked on mine !  there are a couple of you tube clips if you want to go down that route. but a good pair of mounts does make more sense !

still confused if there is more vibration on a springer than say a high power rifle but will bow to the knowlegable folk on here -  pcp seems to make sense especial having a multishot mag. 

ATB Agriv8

Hello, yes on the 4 bolts but I have a fully adjustable mount, so once you get the best X and Y in centre the adjusters will do the rest, some PCPs it's a shim on the mounts, there's a lot on info on the XTs on the night vision forum, there's plenty of PCPs to choose from depending on you budget, and multi shot would be a better option, your springer would be a lot smoother to shoot if you fitted a tune kit, as strimmer mentioned, it might be worth a go then if to much vibration your know  if a PCP is a better way to go, 

On 22/03/2021 at 15:34, welshwarrior said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one was put a photon on my old BSA super sport, now I’m buy a pcp bsa ultra! 

ratting is get quite addictive and expensive. 

Better with Air Arms unregulated, and old S200?

On 21/03/2021 at 22:26, oldypigeonpopper said:

👍

On 22/03/2021 at 19:07, Agriv8 said:

ATB Agriv8

For prolonged us on a springer you should maybe look a an etched glass reticle as that's what usually falls off under repeated use.

On 22/03/2021 at 19:07, Agriv8 said:

ATB Agriv8

I think a lot of scopes and equipment die on springers because you get shock and vibration in both forwards and backwards directions due to the spring extending then rebounding off the stop. With a powder burner the recoil tends to be in one direction only.

Edited by Dangerous Brian