GOPRO

marmite

Probably the gopro hero 9 black if you wanna have a spend.

The hero 7 and 8 are still good, just doesnt have as good stabilisation as the 9. The 8 doesnt have removable lens covers which is a ****** if you scratch it.

Anything over a hero 4 wont accept a 3.5mm mic for better audio without an adapter that is bulky and about £50. You could record separate audio off your phone or other device if you dont like the inbuilt mic. The hero 4 is a good cheap 1080 camera.

Insta360 One R is good for the money and the One R Twin Edition if you want to shoot 360 footage, if so then there is also the gopro max and the Insta360 One X2.

The Insta360s have a great app that lets you edits videos very quickly and add effects, have a look on youtube at them.

Or there are the cheaper options like the Akaso Brave 6 etc, good value for money, just not as crisp and feature rich as the ones above.

You could go very cheap and light with an old gopro hero session camera.

I suppose it depends on what you want to capture, what resolution you want to film in, what fps you want to film in,how much time youll be filming, room for equipment etc..

If all else fails, get on youtube, watch the recommended action cams of 2020 amd 2021, there are lots or thorough videos on there from people who know every detail about action cams and the market.

FYI, be careful if you want a GoPro because even though the site is .co.uk, everything is shipped from the Netherlands so you may end up with a post brexit VAT and import duty bill. Their website still lists UK and taxes pre paid but it isnt, be warned.....

Edited by Pangolin

I've been using GoPro cameras for years, mainly fishing and diving, but also family stuff. Up to the Hero 7 now. Hero 9 looks amazing, BUT I'm not sure how well they are suited to shooting. A major feature of the cameras is that they have a very wide angle lens which is great for close-up action shots and selfies, but distant objects appear even further away. 

15 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

I've been using GoPro cameras for years, mainly fishing and diving, but also family stuff. Up to the Hero 7 now. Hero 9 looks amazing, BUT I'm not sure how well they are suited to shooting. A major feature of the cameras is that they have a very wide angle lens which is great for close-up action shots and selfies, but distant objects appear even further away. 

That 30yds pigeon just became a 70yds, winner, haha.

I've got the 8 (and the 3 but don't use that for shooting) - use them both mainly for cycling.

One thing I noticed especially when game shooting was that a head strap/mount rather than a barrel mount gave me better footage - you could make sense of the lead, follow the bird down etc. With a barrel mounted camera there was too much swinging/movement to really make use of the footage.

• 1 year later...

As the title is Help and Advice, I need help. Got a Hero 8 to record shooting fishing and dog work as Lloyd has mentioned.

I cannot get my videos to download to my IPad. Can one of you experts walk me through the process? I seem to be able to get the IPad to connect to the GoPro but there it ends.

Thanks!

On 06/01/2023 at 09:58, Dave at kelton said:

As the title is Help and Advice, I need help. Got a Hero 8 to record shooting fishing and dog work as Lloyd has mentioned.

I cannot get my videos to download to my IPad. Can one of you experts walk me through the process? I seem to be able to get the IPad to connect to the GoPro but there it ends.

Thanks!

reading about blue-tooth it seems its not the best method as it does not handle large files well, this article suggest wifi or as Houseplant suggests USB, that would also be my way of connecting the camera ...https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gopro/gopro-bluetooth-wifi/

5 hours ago, old'un said:

reading about blue-tooth it seems its not the best method as it does not handle large files well, this article suggest wifi or as Houseplant suggests USB, that would also be my way of connecting the camera ...https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gopro/gopro-bluetooth-wifi/

Thanks!