Bristol protests now....

ditchman

The government need to drop this new bill. It's nothing more than an exercise in futility. We have more than enough laws to sort scum out last night. Trouble is they are not enforced . What's point of new laws if the system is incapable of enforcing the present ones.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

The government need to drop this new bill. It's nothing more than an exercise in futility. We have more than enough laws to sort scum out last night. Trouble is they are not enforced . What's point of new laws if the system is incapable of enforcing the present ones.

^^^^^^ This. Unfortunately give the Tories enough room and they quickly revert to type. All the rules and no idea. 

I feel sorry for the Police. If they did take a tough line somebody who was an innocent bystander minding their own business in the middle of a riot would turn up on Lorraine crying saying how the police took their collection of legally held bricks off them and was mean. Next thing the whole left wing press and political machine would have the coppers strung up. Until we have politicians that believe in law and order not good press I'm afraid this behaviour will only get worse. It's not that most people think this left wing pandering is right. It's that the left wing are louder and have the media on their side. 

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

The guys and gals who are up against it are those in the thin blue line and attempting to arrest anyone in the ruckus when you have filmed evidence I wouldn't know but would hazard a guess that that might just make your predicament worse. Better to wait until you can lift them in a time and place of your choosing.

I know what your saying,  3000 protestors and probably very few police,  they said on the news that mounted police and dogs made no difference,  they won't when they aren't allowed to do anything other than stand back and watch.

I'm sure if the police had waded in they would have come off worse, but I hope the follow up operation gets some proper results. 

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

put their faces on tv with £1000 reward. That is cheaper than the police having to find them. And then add the reward to the fine as costs.

leave them wondering which of their mates turned them in 

I like this, do a special crimewatch,  put their faces up and see how many get turned in.

And while we are at it, there is already a perfectly adequate crime of riot, so why isn't it used?

Riot (Section 1 Public Order Act 1986)

The behaviour of those causing a riot must be such that the average person would feel afraid by their actions. If you were to commit this offence, the trial would take place in a Crown Court where you could be given a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Edited by Vince Green

17 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I know what your saying,  3000 protestors and probably very few police,  they said on the news that mounted police and dogs made no difference,  they won't when they aren't allowed to do anything other than stand back and watch.

I'm sure if the police had waded in they would have come off worse, but I hope the follow up operation gets some proper results. 

I like this, do a special crimewatch,  put their faces up and see how many get turned in.

Yep. :good:  It is fair to say that much of our TV nature/natural history programmes come out of the BBC at Bristol. They could do a local crimewatch special vermin edition.

If they arrested them all they didn’t have room to hold them. 

The emergency calls to social services last night in Bristol were non-existent because they were absolutely overrun. 

Once again it’s easy to stand in the background saying the Police should have done this or that without any real idea of how that would work on reality. 

21 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Once again it’s easy to stand in the background saying the Police should have done this or that without any real idea of how that would work on reality. 

Yes it is, but increasingly the Police are being shown to be unable to cope, unable to get out there and do something, unable to earn their pay.

All I can say is that the protestors let them selves down and once again show that there is no respect for the police law and order are no longer respected I copper hits someone and they get in to trouble and fined, when I was a kid a copper would smack.you up the back of the head if your were playing up and god help me if I went back kn told my parents because I would end up getting a wack of my old man for making a copper do that no respect the country is on its knees it will only get worse as the civil rights none gender you carnt say that people are around I carnt stand in the street and say I'm white and proud because I would be racist for saying so just glad I'm.in my 40s now and not a teenager being confused and not knowing why and which way my life should be lived, be normal go shooting ferreting fishing make dens take the **** have fun just be respectfull of your elders the police and your country  its nice to be nice 

Edited by lampro

Two people I know were on shift yesterday, both started the day on an Early and both clocked off at 3am. It wasn't isolated to just the city centre, other stations were targeted, one mate said he and his colleagues got off shift with no injuries but the van is a write off.. The other said they almost didn't know where to go, not riot officers and with no protection other than the van and standard issue vest. Ended up at a different station away from the trouble. Police cant police anymore, as soon as they use force they are in the wrong. Canon tear gas and rubber bullets need to come in on these idiots. They'd never do this in france, they know the uk police have no grounds if using force. 

8 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Two people I know were on shift yesterday, both started the day on an Early and both clocked off at 3am. It wasn't isolated to just the city centre, other stations were targeted, one mate said he and his colleagues got off shift with no injuries but the van is a write off.. The other said they almost didn't know where to go, not riot officers and with no protection other than the van and standard issue vest. Ended up at a different station away from the trouble. Police cant police anymore, as soon as they use force they are in the wrong. Canon tear gas and rubber bullets need to come in on these idiots. They'd never do this in france, they know the uk police have no grounds if using force. 

Never better said, I was in Marsalis when the yellow jackets rioted I was on a cruise ship refit in the docs, we used to have a coach take us into town to get supplies and one night we went into the town and there was a water canon and gas being used in the market square against them, second night no trouble 

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

And while we are at it, there is already a perfectly adequate crime of riot, so why isn't it used?

Riot (Section 1 Public Order Act 1986)

The behaviour of those causing a riot must be such that the average person would feel afraid by their actions. If you were to commit this offence, the trial would take place in a Crown Court where you could be given a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Think Tony Blair repealed the act........have to check that.....i know he tried to...........

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The Police Officer in charge has just been shown on the BBC News at One saying they are looking at CCTV and Body Cam footage to make further arrests!

The arrests should have been made last night, he really is not worth his pay.

With how many officers? There isn't the resources available. Sad but true and I've said it before.  To arrest someone that's violent you need more than 1 cop unless you don't mind seriously hurt hurting them, facing criminal charges yourself and losing house, pension, job, wife/husband etc. I bet he had less than 50 on duty for the area and was frantically calling for mutual aid from other areas. 

The other side is if the cops were heavy handed or even remotely robust the press would be ripping them to shreds. Can't win either way but the lack of cops stands. Never known it so bad. Farcical even. 

1 minute ago, GingerCat said:

With how many officers? There isn't the resources available. Sad but true and I've said it before.  To arrest someone that's violent you need more than 1 cop unless you don't mind seriously hurt hurting them, facing criminal charges yourself and losing house, pension, job, wife/husband etc. I bet he had less than 50 on duty for the area and was frantically calling for mutual aid from other areas. 

The other side is if the cops were heavy handed or even remotely robust the press would be ripping them to shreds. Can't win either way but the lack of cops stands. Never known it so bad. Farcical even. 

I accept that, but, if the Police had been on the case and up for the grab, it could have been sorted out and effectively nipped in the bud.

Now the next time the "protestors" will know they have the streets to themselves and have an audience of Police Officers to watch along with the media.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I accept that, but, if the Police had been on the case and up for the grab, it could have been sorted out and effectively nipped in the bud.

Now the next time the "protestors" will know they have the streets to themselves and have an audience of Police Officers to watch along with the media.

Right oh, and how would they be on the case? Intercepting communications? Sec of state approval for that. Not likely is it. 

I shouldn't have replied really as I know it will wind me up. The reality is this - policing has been cut to the bone and the days of using force without worrying about losing your own liberty/job/house are long gone. It's not the police that make the rules but they work within what they have. 

If you know how to do it better then sign up and lead the way. I'm all ears. 

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

If the Police cannot police, then bring in the Military. These thugs need to know they do not rule the streets.

So they get prosecuted instead? The law still applies. Don't think the Police aren't capable, they aren't allowed. There is a big difference. 

2 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Right oh, and how would they be on the case? Intercepting communications? Sec of state approval for that. Not likely is it. 

I shouldn't have replied really as I know it will wind me up. The reality is this - policing has been cut to the bone and the days of using force without worrying about losing your own liberty/job/house are long gone. It's not the police that make the rules but they work within what they have. 

If you know how to do it better then sign up and lead the way. I'm all ears. 

Yes again I accept all of that, but what are the senior officers being paid for?

To keep the few Officers they have back from harms way?

Let's go down the other root, as they are so ineffective, keep them on as mental health staff, that seems to be all they can handle lately.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes again I accept all of that, but what are the senior officers being paid for?

To keep the few Officers they have back from harms way?

Let's go down the other root, as they are so ineffective, keep them on as mental health staff, that seems to be all they can handle lately.

The senior officers still have to work within the law. They can't tell anyone to use force, its illegal. End of. They can't protect them if they do. Again illegal. So they can deploy them or not. If they do the officers deployed have to make their own minds up as to hit or arrest someone. No one was getting arrested last night. They couldn't house them if they did and there would be no cops inside 5 mins and the rest would  ruin the city. They defended the station and that was it. There want much hitting as the press would crucify them also and they would quite possibly face trial by media and lose jobs due to arm chair experts. 

As for mental health, I don't know many cops that haven't had issues at some point. Sometimes they can't come back from it. 

It comes down to numbers. If you want an all singing super accountable transparent service that can deliver then you need the numbers to deal with the paper work that comes with it, not only internally but with the cps and various other agencies.  If you don't then vote for a party that will change the law. 

5 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

GingerCat - I sense your frustration. The Police need leadership which will be robust in defence of the staff on the frontline.

It's not the leadership it's the law. The leadership can do nothing about that. Not one thing.