Woody flew into Dads Window

Robertt

Its nearly always big picture windows facing trees. From outside the window acts like a mirror and the pigeon sees trees reflected in the mirror so it flies towards what it sees. Pigeons don't have binocular vision so they cant see in 3D to judge distance. Thats why they fly into the glass so hard  

People stick pictures of hawks on their windows to deter them

Edited by Vince Green

My elderly infirm neighbours both nearly 90, were sitting in their living room, when a cock pheasant exploded through their front window and landed stone dead on the rug by their feet. It must have been going full pelt. Fortunately neither of the couple were injured. There was a roughly pheasant sized hole in their double glazed window - decorated with a few feathers and blood. What a fright they must have got...!!

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

My elderly infirm neighbours both nearly 90, were sitting in their living room, when a cock pheasant exploded through their front window and landed stone dead on the rug by their feet. It must have been going full pelt. Fortunately neither of the couple were injured. There was a roughly pheasant sized hole in their double glazed window - decorated with a few feathers and blood. What a fright they must have got...!!

did they eat it ?

I hung some plastic fridge magnets of butterflies on nylon fishing line, which I then stuck to the top frame using blue-tac. That has so far stopped them from hitting the glass. As I have window shock detectors they were setting off the house alarm which then rang my mobile. Upon arrival back at home, there were the tell tale 'ghost' patterns on the window.

52 minutes ago, Westley said:

I hung some plastic fridge magnets of butterflies on nylon fishing line, which I then stuck to the top frame using blue-tac. That has so far stopped them from hitting the glass. As I have window shock detectors they were setting off the house alarm which then rang my mobile. Upon arrival back at home, there were the tell tale 'ghost' patterns on the window.

This must happen scores of times up and down the country and I am sure we could have a thread alone on various birds hitting windows and also windscreens .

In the halls garden where I worked we had a big outside building with twelve open arches known as the Loggia , one year we closed all the arches up with windows and glass doors and turned it into a tea room for the public , with a lot of birdlife in the gardens we were forever more getting birds striking the glass as they could see the other side when flying at eye level , the last bird I got was a Green Woodpecker , although dead it was in perfect condition so I stuck it in the freezer , then one day I was yarning to a chap at the game fair who set birds and animals up and told him I had a Green Woodpecker in the freezer and ended up letting him have it , now after consulting the bird protection people they had various nets and blinds put up inside and as far as I know they no longer get the same problem .

Years ago I was a guest on a shoot day in Cheshire. One drive my pal and I were walking guns going through some woodland at the edge of the drive towards the line of guns. My dogs put up a big cock pheasant but it flew towards a house presenting no shot, I didn’t raise the gun but after 150 yards the cock crashed straight through an upstairs window of a large cottage on the estate. I suggested that we go and check everyone in the house was ok and explain the accident. My wise old friend, a syndicate member of that estate, told me it was the pheasant’s choice to fly into the house, and to involve ourselves would simply cause problems for the shoot when it had been nature's doing. Basically his reasoning was “not my circus, not my monkeys”. I had visions of an elderly lady having the fright of her life and then chasing a bloodied pheasant around her bedroom and landing. 

Edited by WalkedUp

I had a large cock pheasant crash land into my van cab through an open window, it was escaping from a driven shoot at the road side, I was doing about 40 mph at the time and nearly went off the road with fright, although the van and I both survived intact, the pheasant sadly didn't and was later eaten by my works forman who was very glad of a free meal. I was left to clean the blood and feathers out of the cab.

I also had a pheasant hit my car headlight at full pelt while I was driving up the A1 near Grantham, smashed the glass and remained embedded in the reflector housing, that one cost me a complete new headlight and the insurance refused to pay up, to rub salt in the wound the bird was smashed to a pulp and no chance of a cook up.

On 22/03/2021 at 12:14, Robertt said:

Fortunately flew away unscathed but left surreal image on window.

20210308_153746.jpg

I love the dribble of poop below the point of impact! 🤣

When I was a lad, I was in the garage with my Dad doing something at his work bench (probably badgering him into letting me "help" with something) when there was an almighty BANG against the window at the far end of the garage.

At the time Dad said it was a kestrel but with hindsight I think it must have been a sparrowhawk.  Anyway, it must have swooped down to make a strike, heading straight towards the up & over door at the front of the garage, but realised it couldn't pull out and therefore just headed for the daylight at the other end.  I don't know how the glass didn't break it was that loud a bang.

After a quick courtesy wipe and some new trousers, we picked the bird up.  We thought it was dead; it was just limp and lifeless, but maintaining a bit of optimism we got a cardboard box and just put it in there in the dark for a while.  Sure enough, maybe 30-60 minutes later there was a scrabbling sound and the box jiggled about a bit!  Dad put on a thick glove, we extracted it from the box, checked it over and it seemed like the hawk's wings and legs weren't broken.  So out we went and set the bird off on its way.

Definitely a once-in-a lifetime experience that will stay with me forever!

The company I work for had a new pumping station built, 50 million quids worth. The building had to make a statement all the front was all massive glass windows. The amount of kingfishers we picked up was horrendous. The windows worked like a Massive mirror so it looked like the river just continued . They had to do modifications. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by muncher

3 minutes ago, muncher said:

The company I work for had a new pumping station built, 50 million quids worth. The building had to make a statement all the front was all massive glass windows. The amount of kingfishers we picked up was horrendous. The windows worked like a Massive mirror so it looked like the river just continued . They had to do modifications. 🤣🤣🤣

One would have thought that Kingfishers would have been taken into account at the design stage. Townie Architects no doubt.

• 4 weeks later...