Woody flew into Dads Window

Robertt

I couldn't have avoided it if I'd tried, the impact was the first I knew about it, then just the briefest flash of blue and yellow disappearing up the screen 😕

I take a small amount of comfort in the fact that for three consecutive years I provided a very safe and warm overnight roost for a blue tit.  The tit took the opportunity of using a wooden trap box I'd left tied to a tree, after the trap got pinched out of it.  I really needed to get the trap back in action to get on top of the rodents in one of my pens, but definitely did not have the heart to take the box away and make the little fella homeless.  I used to see the bird snuggled up in there when I was feeding after dark wearing my head-torch.  I'd just allow the edge of the light beam to scan over the access hole and I'd catch a glimpse.  I got too close and blinded the poor thing one night, it flew out the the tree branches in fright!  Sadly, part way through the last game season the blue tit suddenly was no longer there any more.

Edited by Jim Neal

On 20/04/2021 at 17:44, redial said:

The dust / powder is bloom which is responsible for pigeon lung. Which some pigeon fanciers contract.

All birds produce feather dust. Some varieties more than others. Its when the new feathers come through and the covering on the feather that protects it while it grows breaks down to release the new feather. You get a certain amount produced all year round, but even more when they are moulting. African greys and cockatoos are bad for it as are pigeons.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/04/2021 at 18:33, loriusgarrulus said:

All birds produce feather dust. Some varieties more than others. Its when the new feathers come through and the covering on the feather that protects it while it grows breaks down to release the new feather. You get a certain amount produced all year round, but even more when they are moulting. African greys and cockatoos are bad for it as are pigeons.

I have seen a very good outline of a barn owl, that had also flown into a window leaving a very good silhouette.

• 3 weeks later...