Roost shooting

Hi guys, 

I’m planning to do some roost shooting next week but I’m not too sure about how the general license works (yes I have read it). If one is roost shooting in the woods does this still count as a preventative measure of crop protection even though they aren’t actually shooting over the crops they’re protecting? Thought I’d ask to see if anyone know.

Like always replies are much appreciated 

Spoken to BASC. They have advised that one can only go out on the pigeons after the crops have started being damaged and the farmer has to call you, the shooter then has to go out and see actual damage of the crops in order to start crop protection. IF those are the new guidelines under the general licenses then can all of us who shoot/want to shoot (for crop protection) as part of a club can say goodbye to this? 

1 hour ago, MWildfowler said:

Spoken to BASC. They have advised that one can only go out on the pigeons after the crops have started being damaged and the farmer has to call you, the shooter then has to go out and see actual damage of the crops in order to start crop protection. IF those are the new guidelines under the general licenses then can all of us who shoot/want to shoot (for crop protection) as part of a club can say goodbye to this? 

with advise like that ballotelli aka the budgie decoyer must have a job with basc 

9 hours ago, MWildfowler said:

😂😂😂 @JDog thankfully I have shot pigeon before but now I want to get into it and do everything for myself. I obviously don’t want to fall foul of the law so always better asking rather than regretting later 

Crack on and shoot them coming to the wood 

don’t want to add to the crop damage by walking about in the field 🤭

The GL 42 applies “ To prevent serious damage to crops” it doesn’t require that serious damage has already occurred. As long as there are crops liable to serious damage then you can shoot the pigeons. You don’t have to use alternate non lethal methods ( ie scarecrows, & other devices) if they are not practical. 

18 minutes ago, Blueflame said:

The GL 42 applies “ To prevent serious damage to crops” it doesn’t require that serious damage has already occurred. As long as there are crops liable to serious damage then you can shoot the pigeons. You don’t have to use alternate non lethal methods ( ie scarecrows, & other devices) if they are not practical. 

Exactly, dont overthink it.

On 24/03/2021 at 21:38, MWildfowler said:

The info you are referring to seems to be regarding shooting during lockdown.  

You can roost shoot pigeon as preventative measures.  There was a piece in the latest BASC magazine on this "eastern page" 

Best wishes

Edited by Terry2016