Magnet speed

32 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How fast do you want to go?

You really do not need a great deal of speed as the flash of the wing bars is what catches the attention of the passing flightline.

What are you using on the arms?

I just want it to go a bit quicker than the average, I didn't ask how to suck eggs mate I shoot pigeons every week, just would like my magnet a bit quicker that's all! 
cheers 

33 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How fast do you want to go?

You really do not need a great deal of speed as the flash of the wing bars is what catches the attention of the passing flightline.

What are you using on the arms?

Dead birds, nothing competes with them.

A simple solution  may be to  extend the arms then the birds on the end will be faster .

Or I guess a higher voltage battery 

Maybe step up from 12 - 18 volt .or 18 - 24 maybe .

It begs the question. 

Does anybody actually suck eggs ? 

And if so is there a correct way ? 

Maybe I need teaching how to ? 

Is there a school for egg sucking ? 

I'm over thinking this aren't I ? 

I would put 2 12v batteries in series and add a controller capable of taking the higher voltage then wind up as required. 24v should give you twice the speed, not sure how long the motor will last but I presume all motors are made with some over voltage capability.

possibly worth getting a scrappy windscreen wiper motor first and testing 24v with it for a day or two rather than testing with your magnet, if it fails then your magnet will for definite as the magnet motor is under greater strain.

multi voltage rheostat here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller-Adjustable-Stepless-Governor-Regulator/dp/B078TC3DTX/ref=asc_df_B078TC3DTX/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310883071142&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9636222332841082082&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044891&hvtargid=pla-452985164615&psc=1

I believe . When you charge a battery  , say 18 volt .fully till your charger days its done .

The voltage the battery will give out could be around 20 - 22 volts .

So you use it and it drains getting lower till the machine its driving either cuts out (electronic circuitry for protection ) or just slows till a stop .

Generally the battery will read  around 16 volts .and you recharge it .

As said above there will be a certain allowance needed for higher voltage .just how high would depend on the quality of the motor  and I guess a 24 v battery may squally charge up to 28 volts so you takes a chance .

I don’t know how to speed up a single  speed magnet. The speed controllers sold as extras only reduce the speed from the normal speed. I used to have a lightweight magnet from Ukshoot Warehouse which was good but burnt out in an accident. I know have two of the AA Decoy magnets, one of which is years old. These have 2 speeds, slow & quick! To change the speed you connect the negative earth lead on the machine to the adjacent terminal. These machines are fairly bomb proof and I only use the fast setting. They faster than the other type.

Applying an over voltage to a DC motor is a bad idea, the armature will draw to much current, get hot and burn out.

Applying 9V will slow the motor and also provide less torque. Typical motor controllers use some form of Pulse Width Modulation, ie they turn the motor on and off. @Ultrastuhad the best idea (IMO) extend the arms so the tips will spin faster.

On 23/03/2021 at 09:36, Topgun113 said:

Morning all,

I'm wanting to speed my magnet up, any ideas how to do this, or is there any on the market that go faster than the norm?  
cheers 

If its only single speed the easiest solution is extend the arms 12 inch or so I've done it for mine works well on calm days. Don't go to far or they'll bend or the machine will jump about if it windy and fall over.