Apps failing on Android phones.

amateur

Last night I received multiple messages on my phone saying "XYZ app keeps stopping, close app or report the problem" and the app stopped working.

It started with BBC iplayer, then moved to All4, my bank app, email, my security software and nothing seemed to stop it. Uninstalling and then reinstalling the app allowed the app to work briefly, then the same error message came through.

Has anyone else hit this problem and did they find a solution?

7 minutes ago, amateur said:

Last night I received multiple messages on my phone saying "XYZ app keeps stopping, close app or report the problem" and the app stopped working.

It started with BBC iplayer, then moved to All4, my bank app, email, my security software and nothing seemed to stop it. Uninstalling and then reinstalling the app allowed the app to work briefly, then the same error message came through.

Has anyone else hit this problem and did they find a solution?

In the past ive cleared the cache or removed the app updates.

4 minutes ago, amateur said:

Thanks, how do I do that?

I am using standard Google as my search engine.

Is it an andoid phone?

If so, settings, app manager, select the app, select storage, you see clear cache and clear data. If you can uninstall the updates it should be in the further options of the app, usually 3 lines or 3 dots in the top corner, it is on Samsungs anyway.

Is your phone running the latest version of android? You can check by going to settings, about phone, that'll tell you if its andoid 10 etc, or go to settings, software update and check for new updates.

Edited by Pangolin

Thanks, Pangolin and Stu64.

Followed both sets of instructions which made the apps work, but only temporarily.

At least, Stu64, you provided the explanation that it was Google's cockup and I can wait for their solution! Thank the Lord that I have an unaffected PC which will allow me to get to my banking app

My wife and I have Samsung A5 mobiles, and whereas my phone seemed to fix itself, my wife's apps still kept on falling over.

I had uninstalled then reinstalled the failing apps individually, but they still kept crashing, what we couldn't do was update Android System Webview as above, because it didn't show in our apps lists, nor would it download.

Then, eureka!, she pressed the button to update all apps. Half an hour later all was well.

Ruddy software developers should all be sent on a brainwashing course where they learn the mantra

"I will not release software to the general public without fully testing it"

or be put up against a wall and shot.

21 hours ago, Walker570 said:

What on earth did we do before we had APPS ?

We had High Street Banks, High Street stores to shop in, music stores to buy records and 4 channels on the telly.

Now, we have the World in our pocket and all feel so much happier.  Apps brought us together in one, big, loving, Brotherhood of Mankind,

RS

32 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

We had High Street Banks, High Street stores to shop in, music stores to buy records and 4 channels on the telly.

Now, we have the World in our pocket and all feel so much happier.  Apps brought us together in one, big, loving, Brotherhood of Mankind,

RS

Yeh!!!????  ....so much happier ?????    Do not know about that so much reading the daily news.

4 hours ago, RockySpears said:

Exactly this, wife's phone stopped email with this message, then a health app for her exercise  wrist band.  Wow.

Time for updates.

RS

My wife's solution was

"Google Play Store",

"My Apps & Games"

"Update All"

which seemed to fix it in one

Edited by amateur