doctors med report

well i paid for my doctors med report as they stated must be paid up front before the doctor will look at it[60]quid on 25th ov jan 2021,its now 23/3/2021,i rang them today to ask about the report and got told its been on the doctors inbox for two weeks,i just want to know how long dos it take to do afew ticks on paper then sign it,dont forget they wanted 60quid upfront its a shamble,i wish i could earn 60quid for a two mins work

Just now, steve_b_wales said:

They cannot refuse, or, if they do, then they are breaking the law. Everyone has a lawful right to have access to their medical records.

Interesting, thank you.

I know you can ask for a copy but that could be subject to alteration? Hence MedCert and their secure server direct?

1 minute ago, old man said:

Interesting, thank you.

I know you can ask for a copy but that could be subject to alteration? Hence MedCert and their secure server direct?

Your medical records are (or should be) printed off by your GP/Surgery and handed to you. You have to show identity when collecting them, even if the GP/Surgery know you, and they take a copy of your identification. I had mine via my GP, sent it to a GP that was listed by BASC, and he checked the records and completed the Pro Forma. These were sent back to me and I sent the Pro Forma to the police, together with my renewal application.

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

Your medical records are (or should be) printed off by your GP/Surgery and handed to you. You have to show identity when collecting them, even if the GP/Surgery know you, and they take a copy of your identification. I had mine via my GP, sent it to a GP that was listed by BASC, and he checked the records and completed the Pro Forma. These were sent back to me and I sent the Pro Forma to the police, together with my renewal application.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

They cannot refuse, or, if they do, then they are breaking the law. Everyone has a lawful right to have access to their medical records.

If you request a copy of all your medical records from your registered GP under the General data protection regulations then yes that sets a time scale by which the GP must reply unless their are extenuating circumstances and it should be free unless extenuating circumstances. 
These are the records medcert require.

However you cannot just send them to the police require as the FEO is not medically qualified, so they ask for a GP report to be completed by the GP and for this private work, the GP can refuse and their is no set fee or set timescale in law, hence why Medcert are being used it appears more and more.

Edited by rbrowning2

surly the medical records should go directly from your GP to Medcert otherwise if you were the one person the process was supposed to find medically unfit to own firearms you could have just Manipulated the report to leave out that you were say depressed or suicidal.

Edited by rbrowning2

5 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

surly the medical records should go directly from your GP to Medcert otherwise if you were the one person the process was supposed to find medically unfit to own firearms you could have just Manipulated the report to leave out that you were say depressed or suicidal.

Medical report pages are numbered. Also, your medical history is dated. If you were to cross something off/try and delete an entry, the GP who views your record will see this.

13 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

If you request a copy of all your medical records from your registered GP under the General data protection regulations then yes that sets a time scale by which the GP must reply unless their are extenuating circumstances and it should be free unless extenuating circumstances. 

However you cannot just send them to the police require as the FEO is not medically qualified, so they ask for a GP report to be completed by the GP and for this private work, the GP can refuse and their is no set fee or set timescale in law, hence why Medcert are being used it appears more and more.

Very true. The police will refuse to view your records, this is why they send you a Pro Forma for a qualified GP to sign, whether it's a GP working for MEDCERT or one recommended by BASC.

15 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

BASC 'approved' GP's charge a standard £50 (although the one who signed my Pro Forma only charged £25) and £50 is the price also charged by MEDCERT.

“Medical report pages are numbered. Also, your medical history is dated. If you were to cross something off/try and delete an entry, the GP who views your record will see this.”

That depends on what facilities you have an how good you are at editing. Remember that Medcert or basc GP will have never met you and has nothing but what you send them, be that one page or fifty pages, they know no different.

It is a weakness in the process, a process that was created to avoid such fraudulent applications, because the processed assumed the report would be completed by the applicants registered GP, not some third party GP.

But then again the process is not about protecting the general public only the Chief Constables job.
They have what they want a GP report that says you are medically fit to own firearms if that turns out at a later date not to be true they will just hide behind the report, not my fault gov.

19 minutes ago, sharpeshooter60 said:

well got my med report from the doctors [about time]had to go to them to pick up,it was sealed with my name on it,didnt ask for any proof who i was,so took it to fac department see what happends now

I'm certain you'll find that your FAC department will reject your medical records, on the grounds that they are not qualified to assess them. My FAC department refused, when I asked if I could send them, and stated that they would only accept a Pro Forma.

4 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

But then again the process is not about protecting the general public only the Chief Constables job.
They have what they want a GP report that says you are medically fit to own firearms if that turns out at a later date not to be true they will just hide behind the report, not my fault gov.

you are spot on looking forward to the first time police try to scape goat a gp and he produces a expert to confirm you can go of your head in seconds without any warning 

This medical declaration seems to be a complete farse. Five years ago my fac and sgl were granted with no problems , even though my doctor had not filled the form in the police had sent him. This year upon renewal doctor fills form In (no charge) and forwards to police. Doctor puts down 11 years ago I had been prescribed anti depressants (sleeping tablet's) due to not being to sleep because of problems with my business. This year had to jump through hoops, because of one prescription 11 years ago! Utter madness.

My SGC expires in the middle of September - I got my renewal reminder today. I will check with my GP if they will do the report, as they seem a little inconsistent. They signed my friend's - no charge - but refused to complete one for his son.

Odd situation for GPs who won't sign - they have to comply with the Data Protection Act and provide the records free of charge, whereas they could pocket £50 for a whole lot less work.

20 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm certain you'll find that your FAC department will reject your medical records, on the grounds that they are not qualified to assess them. My FAC department refused, when I asked if I could send them, and stated that they would only accept a Pro Forma.

ive had my phone call about my shotgun renewal[as they dont to your house at the moment] they know its from my doctors,and told me to keep ringing them about my med report as it was taking along time for them to get the doctor to sign it ;and they was right as it took 2days for them to say its done

17 hours ago, Gordon R said:

My SGC expires in the middle of September - I got my renewal reminder today. I will check with my GP if they will do the report, as they seem a little inconsistent. They signed my friend's - no charge - but refused to complete one for his son.

Odd situation for GPs who won't sign - they have to comply with the Data Protection Act and provide the records free of charge, whereas they could pocket £50 for a whole lot less work.

The issue with some doctors is that they don't want to put their name on the form, which states that in their opinion, the person is 'okay' to hold firearms. They would rather pass the buck to someone else. Just like the police have done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2021 at 19:36, steve_b_wales said:

just got my sgc through the post