Pan seared pigeon and port sauce

Pangolin

19 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Looks like you got that about spot on 👍

17 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Looks great that does 

Thanks, It was very nice, hopefully when I get the decoys out on the perm I can have a bit more. Never decoyed before, so see how I get on.

21 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

Looks bloody lovely👍

Thanks bud.

16 minutes ago, Morkin said:

That looks good I like my pigeon ,was that a good slosh of port and for not that long ? . I have now got into my air rifles and pigeons shot with them are so clean and delicious ,let's hope you have many more mate and enjoy.

About 90secs each side inna red hot pan, then a deglaze with taylors port and reduce it down, whole thing took about 7 or 8 mins from prep to plate.

No lead shot in the breast of this one as it turned its back to me as I shot it.

4 hours ago, John_R said:

Sometimes I stir a splash of cream into a Port reduction, works well with the same range of meats.

Ive never added cream to port or game, I usually go for sharper or sweet flavours to cut the richness.

2 hours ago, Mr gen said:

That looks perfectly cooked and delicious. it baffles me why so many people screw their noses up at eating pigeon but hey ho more for us and they don't know what they are missing. 

Thanks, its a great meat, the raw colour of the meat is so appealing, very rich burgundy, lovely. Its such good eating.

Even harder to get people to try squirrel but its good, portion it, dip it in seasoned flour, fry it, squirrel KFC, lovely.

3 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

My memory of eating pigeon is liver with the texture of old boots, but that looks great! Technique matters in game cooking. 

I always say to people who ask what its like, I say it tastes liek steak and liver mixed together.

This was very tender, hopefully get a few more this afternoon.

3 hours ago, moondoggy said:

You could open a chain of restaurants, I’m sure it would go down well on the high streets. 🐿

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall did something similar selling game, he did pigeon in pittas with peas pudding and rabbit burgers and in another ep he did KFC rabbit.

KFB is popular in our house (B for bunny).

1. Soak rabbit pieces overnight in buttermilk substitute (1 cup milk to 1 tablespoon lemon juice) or brine. 

2. Shake dry and coat in Colonel Sander's "secret" recipe.

• 2 cups white flour
  • 2⁄3 tablespoon salt
  • 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme
  • 1⁄2 tablespoon basil
  • 1⁄3 tablespoon oregano
  • 1/3 tablespoon celery salt
  • 1/3 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1/3 tablespoon dried mustard
  • 4 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 3 tablespoon white pepper

3. Put cooking oil in a baking dish, add coated rabbit pieces and add some more oil until it is about half the rabbit is covered. Drizzle some more oil over the meat which is exposed.

4. Cook for 40 minutes at 180 degrees C, turning the pieces half way through.

EDIT: If you have a squeamish family as I do, it pays to take the shanks off the back legs. Meat loss is minimal and the end product looks just like a chicken thigh. 

11 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Ive never added cream to port or game, I usually go for sharper or sweet flavours to cut the richness.

Thanks, its a great meat, the raw colour of the meat is so appealing, very rich burgundy, lovely. Its such good eating.

Even harder to get people to try squirrel but its good, portion it, dip it in seasoned flour, fry it, squirrel KFC, lovely.

I always say to people who ask what its like, I say it tastes liek steak and liver mixed together.

This was very tender, hopefully get a few more this afternoon.

I first saw cream added to port reductions on a steak recipe. I tried it with pigeon, and also venison, and was pleased with the result. 

Another very simple pigeon meal:

Fry two breasts in butter, push them to the edge of the pan to keep warm while frying a few apple slices in the same butter.

Set the slices on a plate,  top with the pigeon, and deglaze the pan with sloe gin.  Pour over the arranged dish,  and tuck in.

Edited by John_R
Spelling

10 hours ago, John_R said:

Fry two breasts in butter, push them to the edge of the pan to keep warm while frying a few apple slices in the same butter.

Set the slices on a plate,  top with the pigeon, and deglaze the pan with sloe gin.  Pour over the arranged dish,  and tuck in.

Yes, yes, yes and yes!!!!! Sounds great.

I like them done in butter with a few sprigs of thyme.

11 hours ago, Houseplant said:

KFB is popular in our house (B for bunny).

1. Soak rabbit pieces overnight in buttermilk substitute (1 cup milk to 1 tablespoon lemon juice) or brine. 

2. Shake dry and coat in Colonel Sander's "secret" recipe.

• 2 cups white flour
  • 2⁄3 tablespoon salt
  • 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme
  • 1⁄2 tablespoon basil
  • 1⁄3 tablespoon oregano
  • 1/3 tablespoon celery salt
  • 1/3 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1/3 tablespoon dried mustard
  • 4 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 3 tablespoon white pepper

3. Put cooking oil in a baking dish, add coated rabbit pieces and add some more oil until it is about half the rabbit is covered. Drizzle some more oil over the meat which is exposed.

4. Cook for 40 minutes at 180 degrees C, turning the pieces half way through.

EDIT: If you have a squeamish family as I do, it pays to take the shanks off the back legs. Meat loss is minimal and the end product looks just like a chicken thigh. 

Pretty much same ingredients I use but I shallow fry them.

On 25/03/2021 at 22:15, John_R said:

I first saw cream added to port reductions on a steak recipe. I tried it with pigeon, and also venison, and was pleased with the result. 

Another very simple pigeon meal:

A brandy cream sauce is another classic. 

Cook steak, pheasant, whatever, also fry some mushrooms alongside. Once the meat is plated add a good glug of brandy and flambé (be careful have lots my fringe and eyebrows a few times), once the flames are gone add a splash of double cream and mix, leave it go as thick as you want it. 

Tip on top of the meat and serve 👍🏻