Jump to content

Dog attacked... ridiculous


Recommended Posts

Picturesque morning, waking back past the daffodils and cherry blossom along the land then into my road. About 200 yards from my house, with my dogs glued to heel at my side, a fat little dog came out of nowhere, launched across the road, verges etc and barrelled into my bitch biting her right fore leg and throat without any warning. The bitch tried to wrestle free and pinned the other dog down (whilst staying at heel), as soon as she released it the dog went for us again. It took two snap boots and then a stomp to get it to stop attacking us. Genuinely thought I was going to lose some fingers. Bitch is bloodied and scared but ok. Yesterday I was walking the same route at a similar time with my little boys in tow skipping along, shudder to think what could have happened. The dogs owner took a little while to apologise, fortunately it was witnessed by his friend / neighbour who had seen it unfold.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Picturesque morning, waking back past the daffodils and cherry blossom along the land then into my road. About 200 yards from my house, with my dogs glued to heel at my side, a fat little dog came out of nowhere, launched across the road, verges etc and barrelled into my bitch biting her right fore leg and throat without any warning. The bitch tried to wrestle free and pinned the other dog down (whilst staying at heel), as soon as she released it the dog went for us again. It took two snap boots and then a stomp to get it to stop attacking us. Genuinely thought I was going to lose some fingers. Bitch is bloodied and scared but ok. Yesterday I was walking the same route at a similar time with my little boys in tow skipping along, shudder to think what could have happened. The dogs owner took a little while to apologise, fortunately it was witnessed by his friend / neighbour who had seen it unfold.

 

I take it that suitable reports have been made?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, old man said:

I take it that suitable reports have been made?

You are right it is my duty to report it as a dog dangerously out of control. I do fear prodding a hornet’s nest with this, involving the police in a neighbour disagreement considering my SGC & FAC. Hmmm. Public interest vs self interest. I know what I have to do but doubt I will do it. Cowardly I know 😔

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

You are right it is my duty to report it as a dog dangerously out of control. I do fear prodding a hornet’s nest with this, involving the police in a neighbour disagreement considering my SGC & FAC. Hmmm. Public interest vs self interest. I know what I have to do but doubt I will do it. Cowardly I know 😔

 

Considered maybe but it needs to stop, could have hapened to a guide dog and blind person?

Discuss your FAC concerns when making the report maybe?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right, but I will speak to the man first and say if I see the dog at large again the first incident will be reported. If he takes the necessary measures it avoids problems all round. I did the same with a couple with “rescue” grey hounds that took a chunk out of one of my Weimaraner’s side a decade ago, we were blindsided out of the blue again. They paid my vet bills and I said if I saw their dogs out unmuzzled again I would be reporting them to the police. They kept to their word, which was win-win. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always like to walk my dog with a big walking stick incase something like this ever happens. I'm glad you got off reasonably lightly, we all know this could have been 10 times worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many moons ago I had the same/similar thing happen and I did have a sturdy stick with me which flattened the mongrel and I thought I had killed it, when it woke up and raced off yelping. No one locally knew who the dog belonged to.  I'm afraid dog owners are becoming a menace and will get worse because of the sudden rush this last year to buy a puppy.   Saying that there are a few owners who look after and train their dogs to enjoy life. We have friends who have just taken on a mixed breed rescue dog. It had obviously ben locked up and not seen anyhting of the outdoors ever.  They have worked hard on it and introduced it to their friends and now instead of sculking back it wags it's tail and rushes forward to be cuddled.  

Edited by Walker570
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had a dog, and took her out for walks etc, I also had a thick sturdy 'waking cane' with me, and would have had no hesitation to use it on any attacking dog's if it happened. Thankfully, it didn't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in the sane position the other week , absolutely no need for it if they know their dog is vicious they should be kept on a lead at least or muzzled 

Edited by sam triple
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had the same,  terrier /poodle type dog ran across two roads to attack my spaniel, it got my size 12 and ran off, minutes later owner comes out complaining i kicked his dog and i told him he needed to keep it under control, he would not accept that running out of his garden across two roads and attacking my dog was out of control, he was trying to provoke a fight and becoming aggressive and as tempting as it was i did the sensible thing and walked away, i reported his dog to the local dog warden and a few days after her visit to explain to him about having an out of control dog in a public place extra fencing went up around his garden.

Some owners should not have dogs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vicious dogs are really a nuisance, but far more common and equally irritating are the out of control dogs which the owners let run at you shouting, “he’s alright, he only wants to play.” NO, it’s not alright, it is disturbing my dogs that I’ve just spent months/years training. I get this on a daily basis now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And another.................

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/24/woman-in-charge-of-dog-that-attacked-freddie-the-seal-is-top-lawyer-14295341/

 

29 minutes ago, London Best said:

Vicious dogs are really a nuisance, but far more common and equally irritating are the out of control dogs which the owners let run at you shouting, “he’s alright, he only wants to play.” NO, it’s not alright, it is disturbing my dogs that I’ve just spent months/years training. I get this on a daily basis now.

Yes LB had all that! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I once had two greyhounds run at me (and my dogs) from the other side of an eighteen acre field. They obviously meant business so as he arrived I caught the lead greyhound under the sternum with a perfect ‘Jonny Wilkinson’ which lifted it in the air and stopped the attack instantly. My leg hurt for days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, London Best said:

I once had two greyhounds run at me (and my dogs) from the other side of an eighteen acre field. They obviously meant business so as he arrived I caught the lead greyhound under the sternum with a perfect ‘Jonny Wilkinson’ which lifted it in the air and stopped the attack instantly. My leg hurt for days.


Been there and done that. Thought I broke my foot. 
 

The two dogs (who were muzzled) ran from 200 yards away to try and kill my sisters dog. 
 

The owner got a bit short complaining that I kicked his dog. 
 

A few choice words about what did he expect and he said “yes, fair enough!”. 
 

I got no enjoyment kicking his dog on the ribs but not much else you can do in those situations. 
 

I actively go out of my way to avoid others when training and exercising my dogs. The worst part is they’ll often see you in the distance so decide to come over to you 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I always like to walk my dog with a big walking stick incase something like this ever happens. I'm glad you got off reasonably lightly, we all know this could have been 10 times worse.

Speaking from experience,my old dog was set upon by 2 loose dogs and I could do nothing to stop them at all I may have had a chance with a stick but doubt it,I would usually have had my young son with me but on that day luckily he wasn't.

If you don't get the right response from the dog owner get it reported and then at least it's on record ,I have attached a picture she ended up with lots of stitches but probably a lot worse mentally scarred.

IMG_1052.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your dog was off lead? Sorry but no offence has taken place, I know it's ridiculous but the police will not even investigate when both dogs are off lead - I know cos a policemans dog (not a police dog) attacked my springer causing near £200 of damage, no case to answer even though his dog ran 30 odd yards and attacked mine as he had his back to him looking for a ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Your dog was off lead? Sorry but no offence has taken place, I know it's ridiculous but the police will not even investigate when both dogs are off lead - I know cos a policemans dog (not a police dog) attacked my springer causing near £200 of damage, no case to answer even though his dog ran 30 odd yards and attacked mine as he had his back to him looking for a ball. 

Is that correct? The dog that’s attacking is clearly out of control, but a dog doesn’t need to be on a lead to be under control if it is correctly trained. I would be surprised if a lead is defined as the only method for under control. 
 

I have been very lucky with my dogs and only once has my terrier been attacked when he was a young dog by a springer / collie cross which he sent away needing its ear reattaching. He now (at almost 12) still hates black and white collies and even barks at them on the tv. 
 

I have been attacked by an out of control greyhound...what it didn’t realise was the same little terrier was in the hedge at the side of me and he proceeded to silently launch himself out of the hedge and pin the greyhound to the ground and express his displeasure at the dog being unfriendly to his master. 

Edited by oscarsdad
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Your dog was off lead? Sorry but no offence has taken place, I know it's ridiculous but the police will not even investigate when both dogs are off lead - I know cos a policemans dog (not a police dog) attacked my springer causing near £200 of damage, no case to answer even though his dog ran 30 odd yards and attacked mine as he had his back to him looking for a ball. 

Your dog doesn't have to be on a lead unless it is in an area designated a Public Space Protection Order, the policeman is the guilty party he failed to comply with the law and his dog was out of control in a public place, i suspect that being a policeman had something to do with it not being investigated.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying that the dog should have been on a lead.....I'm just saying that because both dogs were off lead the police will show no interesdt whatsoever. I have an email somewhere from TVP stating that no offence has taken place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2021 at 08:07, WalkedUp said:

Picturesque morning, waking back past the daffodils and cherry blossom along the land then into my road. About 200 yards from my house, with my dogs glued to heel at my side, a fat little dog came out of nowhere, launched across the road, verges etc and barrelled into my bitch biting her right fore leg and throat without any warning. The bitch tried to wrestle free and pinned the other dog down (whilst staying at heel), as soon as she released it the dog went for us again. It took two snap boots and then a stomp to get it to stop attacking us. Genuinely thought I was going to lose some fingers. Bitch is bloodied and scared but ok. Yesterday I was walking the same route at a similar time with my little boys in tow skipping along, shudder to think what could have happened. The dogs owner took a little while to apologise, fortunately it was witnessed by his friend / neighbour who had seen it unfold.

 

I literally have a dog with me 24hrs a day, 365days a year and I go all over the country and have very few problems. Considering it is one of your most posted about problems on this section of the forum Im really amazed you have so many issues, I don't suppose you have some photos of your dogs injuries as I've got to be honest, I'm sort of starting to doubt this even happened, you must be one of the most unlucky people on here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@12gauge82 I know many people on here with whom I shoot over my dogs. I also share many dog “contacts” with those handlers I don’t know personally. I regularly post pictures of the dogs working. And videos of them training. Yet your dogs and dog training seems curiously absent. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good grief is she on ABs? That’s a bad wound and close to the joint isn’t it bless her!

Stapled and local iodine. Weimaraners have a very thin coat and taught skin so a single “nip” tears the skin. 

Edited by WalkedUp
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Zapp locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...