Old clock

Centrepin

My daughter was given this today. Apparently it was working and one day it stopped. No further information. 

It appears that all parts are there, and if you move the fingers it chimes. 

Neither me nor her know anything about them.

It was to be scrapped, both of us think its too good.

Any ideas, any advice, she would very much like it to work, if not she'll keep it non working on the hall wall.

20210325_130535.jpg

Have a look in the bottom of the back of the clock for a bit of a broken spring or move it from side to side to hear anything in there *** usually the problem is over-winding and it snaps something; that would be my 1st suggestion. 2nd sit it perfectly horizontal and plumb, swing the pendulum and see it ticks. If there isn't anything broken and it ticks then check out videos on YouTube and maybe join a group on Facebook to further diagnostics. It doesn't look as if it's branded so probably not worth much but check for any signatures/markings that will give you a clue of the maker so if you need to buy any bits.

3 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Have a look in the bottom of the back of the clock for a bit of a broken spring or move it from side to side to hear anything in there *** usually the problem is over-winding and it snaps something; that would be my 1st suggestion. 2nd sit it perfectly horizontal and plumb, swing the pendulum and see it ticks. If there isn't anything broken and it ticks then check out videos on YouTube and maybe join a group on Facebook to further diagnostics. It doesn't look as if it's branded so probably not worth much but check for any signatures/markings that will give you a clue of the maker so if you need to buy any bits.

Thanks, not bothered over its worth, just didn't want to see it hit the bottom of a skip.

My daughter set it like you said and it ticks. We have realised there's no winding key but as yet I've not examined it myself.

53 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Thanks, not bothered over its worth, just didn't want to see it hit the bottom of a skip.

My daughter set it like you said and it ticks. We have realised there's no winding key but as yet I've not examined it myself.

I've seen a few examples ' not working ' back to perfect timepieces by replacing a broken spring ( some are really small )

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

I've seen a few examples ' not working ' back to perfect timepieces by replacing a broken spring ( some are really small )

15 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Looks a nice bit of kit. With three keyholes it will of course chime the quarters too.

I have just binned a similar clock as clock repairer wanted £200 "two days work" to strip clean and repair and he's snowed under with work.

If it can't be fixed for a reasonable cost then it'll be wall mounted anyway as my daughter likes it.

If she doesn't want it for any reason my wife has already said we can find space and work on a repair budget.

take the workings out  and place  in a bath of petrol for a few hours clean and lubricate after with a thin oil     or   after cleaning   old school suspend over a 50/50 mix of oil and petrol for 24hrs what  what evaporates should be enough   old watches oil and petrol in an egg cup over night  old stuff sometimes just need cleaning