Changing broadband supplier.

harrycatcat1

All of them are putting their prices up!

I am with TalkTalk and they wanted another £2 per month. 

I spent 25 minutes chatting with a lady in South Africa and am now paying £5 less.

My opening gambit was to ask her to confirm when my current contract ended.

32 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

All of them are putting their prices up!

I am with TalkTalk and they wanted another £2 per month. 

I spent 25 minutes chatting with a lady in South Africa and am now paying £5 less.

My opening gambit was to ask her to confirm when my current contract ended.

My monthly bill is £40 and it's going up 3 pounds, sky won't come down when I rang them. So the fifteen quid in the link is quite appealing. 

9 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

My monthly bill is £40 and it's going up 3 pounds, sky won't come down when I rang them. So the fifteen quid in the link is quite appealing. 

You are legally allowed to leave without penalty for 30 days from their notification of raising the price.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Well I took a punt with 1pbroadband as the speeds on broadband with sky were getting dire. Did a speed test today and got 36mbps which will do for £20 per month.

Screenshot_20210419-103519_Samsung Internet.jpg

I get 50MB down, but only 5MB up and nothing I can do about it - it has been similar across different providers 😞 - currently with Shell

Be mindful that in most cases these companies are just providing the service via BT Wholesale.     BT had a deservedly poor reputation when the call centres were offshore, its all back in UK now 

Currently using BT's Full Fibre (FTTP) service...at £60.59 a month - however if BT do the usual Black Friday thing in November it will become suddenly much more reasonable.

Speedtest.JPG

52 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Be mindful that in most cases these companies are just providing the service via BT Wholesale.     BT had a deservedly poor reputation when the call centres were offshore, its all back in UK now 

Currently using BT's Full Fibre (FTTP) service...at £60.59 a month - however if BT do the usual Black Friday thing in November it will become suddenly much more reasonable.

Speedtest.JPG

I am so jealous of you - will never get FTTP here - live up a line - our line is actually off a telegraph pole! An open reach engineer said that really it needed to be replaced but the chances of that are nil 😞

2 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

Speedtest.JPG

Flippin Hector 913 do dahs 👍👍

On 19/04/2021 at 15:47, discobob said:

I am so jealous of you - will never get FTTP here - live up a line - our line is actually off a telegraph pole! An open reach engineer said that really it needed to be replaced but the chances of that are nil 😞

I have a mate who lives in Granborough, Warwickshire - a little hamlet in the countryside and he got FTTP about 6 months before me - his service comes via a telegraph pole on the other side of the street.

BT want everyone off the copper telephone network, whilst they have abandoned the 2025 target the program is still full speed ahead, register on BT's web site to say that you want the service:  BT FTTP link .   I think this shows the BT products available in your postcode - when I did it originally it wasn't available  and I just registered my Email address - at least BT will have data on who is interested in a postcode.

TBH most domestic users (myself included) don't need 900mbps+ download speeds today, 4K Netflix streaming was fine on the previous 75mbps service, FTTP provides super low latency and for on-line gaming that's advantageous.   There will come a time when 8K+ TV services will become mainstream and that will voraciously gobble internet bandwidth. 

Edited by Cosmicblue
Typo.