Pigeon shooting with antique shotgun

Hi everyone, I have recently inherited an extremely well-kept 12 gauge side-by-side which dates to 1905. It’s a double trigger non-ejector boxlock, and my only 12g. It’s chambered for 2 3/4 but I’d feel more comfortable with 2 1/2. All in proof!

Up until now I have primarily shot .410, a side-by-side and my Mossberg hushpower. 

I’ve put some old paper-cased 32g 6’s through it on the weekend and the thing kicks like a mule, would anybody be able to recommend a decent pigeon cartridge:

2 1/2 inch (65mm)

cheap

reliable

reduced recoil!

thanks in advance

32g 6s will give a bit of boot in a light gun but do make sure it's not coming off the face and in need of a rejoining. If you're decoying pigeon or keeping range sensible and want a light cartridge try a 21gram load, I use them in my side by side AYA  yeoman if I take it out on the skeet stand. Should have plenty of oomph to take down a 25-30yard pigeon

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I don’t believe that makes any difference providing the gun has been looked after properly.

And there’s the problem we have no idea how it was looked after by the 3 generation’s that owned and used it before us very few of us have had the same gun for 100 years 

longest I’ve had one is 49 years 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I don’t believe that makes any difference providing the gun has been looked after properly.

You'll go over my knee if you keep on!!!! Metal ages and weakens over time, besides this my main concern is the long term care of some of these pieces, sure, some careful string of owners may have tended the gun over the last century plus but surely it decerves to be treated gently and hopefully saved for future generations?

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

And there’s the problem we have no idea how it was looked after by the 3 generation’s that owned and used it before us very few of us have had the same gun for 100 years 

longest I’ve had one is 49 years 

Obviously.
But you can see if it’s rotten with rust or if the barrels do not measure properly or are off the face. Condition is everything, not age.
My youngest are both Spanish, proved in 1974 and 1962. My everyday driven gun is 1930 and I have three made around 1900. The other two are older, one much older at 1865. The other one is, admittedly, ropey.  I do not consider any of them to be delicate because of their age.

4 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

You'll go over my knee if you keep on!!!! Metal ages and weakens over time, besides this my main concern is the long term care of some of these pieces, sure, some careful string of owners may have tended the gun over the last century plus but surely it decerves to be treated gently and hopefully saved for future generations?        

Noooo! Not the knee again, pleeeese

I treat all guns gently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2021 at 14:49, Old farrier said:

Is it kicking because it’s probably proof for a 1..1/8 oz load try any of the lighter 1 oz loads 

or maybe it’s too short in the stock 

On the nail. I have my grandfathers old BSA Side by side and take it out occasionally and compared to my 410 it does kick a bit even though the stock has been altered to my fit.   The fact you are used to very light recoil and the stock may not be perfect could be a major reason.  Plenty of light shooting 12 gauge shells out there some listed above.

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

On the nail. I have my grandfathers old BSA Side by side and take it out occasionally and compared to my 410 it does kick a bit even though the stock has been altered to my fit.   The fact you are used to very light recoil and the stock may not be perfect could be a major reason.  Plenty of light shooting 12 gauge shells out there some listed above.

It could also help a semi pistol grip putting the op hand into the incorrect place for a good fit 

there are many reasons for a gun to kick a bit 

I shoot a Charles Lancaster with 2.5" chambers.Mainly for smipe and woodcock but also flighting duck and some pigeon and the occasional day at driven pheasants/partridge. 

For the woodcock I use Eley select in a 7.5 which is very soft shooting.For ducks,pigeon and driven game I shoot Supreme game 6's in 30gm,again I do not notice anything unpleasant about the recoil. I am not sure of the weight of the gun but it has 30" Damascus barrels and is reputed to have been made around 1880.I have had it for 31 years,in that time it has had two overhauls.One was to service,rebrown the barrels and fit a butt pad.The more recent was to relay the barrels,fix a broken elector spring and give her a really good service.

Hopefully with care she will do me for another 31 years.