Squirrel Feeder

johnnytheboy

21 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

You think I should half it and weld a plate over? 

You could just bolt a plate on so you can adjust the flow rate of the feed, see how it goes.

With it being an open feeder you'll need a camera to know what's taking the feed.

20210210_095917.jpg.df760de63cd2c5c38bfe734f27a33dcb.jpg

I did this on some open feeders because the squirrels were pulling the feed out looking for the good bits, it kept the pigeons off as well. It's just a bit of joist hanger.

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You could just bolt a plate on so you can adjust the flow rate of the feed, see how it goes.

With it being an open feeder you'll need a camera to know what's taking the feed.

20210210_095917.jpg.df760de63cd2c5c38bfe734f27a33dcb.jpg

I did this on some open feeders because the squirrels were pulling the feed out looking for the good bits, it kept the pigeons off as well. It's just a bit of joist hanger.

I could weld a hinge on so that the part of the hinge hangs over the hole! 

take it those trail cameras are the way to go? 

58 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

I could weld a hinge on so that the part of the hinge hangs over the hole! 

take it those trail cameras are the way to go? 

That would work. 

The good thing about the camera's is they show you the time and what's taking the food, with an open feeder you don't know if the food going down is squirrels or birds or both.

A couple of suggestions from my experience-

your feed tray looks big so when the squirrel is in it, it may not present itself for a clean shot

often a squirel will take a peanut(if thats your bait)and go and sit on the lid to eat it but yours is very sloped so would not be possible

I use two different type of feeders, a flip top one so the squirrel has to lift the lid, this has a projecting front which the squirrel sits on,the second style

has an opening at the front like yours with a small hopper but a shelf either side of the feeder for the squirrel to sit on,this usually makes the squirrel sit face on to you.

If I have any pictures of mine somewhere I will upload some pics.

On 27/03/2021 at 10:52, ratchers said:

A couple of suggestions from my experience-

your feed tray looks big so when the squirrel is in it, it may not present itself for a clean shot

often a squirel will take a peanut(if thats your bait)and go and sit on the lid to eat it but yours is very sloped so would not be possible

I use two different type of feeders, a flip top one so the squirrel has to lift the lid, this has a projecting front which the squirrel sits on,the second style

has an opening at the front like yours with a small hopper but a shelf either side of the feeder for the squirrel to sit on,this usually makes the squirrel sit face on to you.

If I have any pictures of mine somewhere I will upload some pics.

Thank you for this and also the pictures, I’ll give a little thought to the next batch