A start on the drillings

aga man

Had a call from the Farmer this morning say his drillings were 'blue over'

I was quite surprised at this i had been watching the fields yesterday and could only see a few floating around.

Never the less I told him I would have a go this afternoon once I had finished work. I was finished by lunchtime just as a band of heavy  rain showers arrived.

I had some lunch and sat tight for a while. To be honest I was not very enthusiastic as i had no dead birds and i am currently trying to recover from a bad back (yet again!)

The rain stopped at one and i headed for the field, armed with only 8 plastic decoys and 100 cartridges, + my hide gear.

The walk was a good 400yds and i had to navigate a small dyke through a hedge. Not the best in my current condition! When I got to the field I could not beleive the number of pigeons there. Possibly 1000 or so on an 18acre field which was only drilled 3 days ago.

I set my hide and put out the plastic decoys. The majority of the pigeons didnt really return, there has been a lot of drilling in the area so possibly pushed them onto another field,but after 2.5 hours shooting I decided to pack up with 33 pigeons and 15 crows.

The walk back with the gear and dead pigeons was a real challenge, but at least half of the corvids were Carrions so I was happy with that!

The farmer too was happy with my effort.

Plenty of seed on the surface here and firing 70 or so shots in today's wind is going to do little to deter the pigeons so I think i will back as this ground before long.

IMG-20210326-WA0000.jpg

10 minutes ago, JDog said:

Good job Aga Man. 

This year the pigeons seem to be on the drillings quicker than normal.

I presume the dairy farm is not even cultivated never mind drilled.

Thanks J. Some drilling done there but some of the ground still tacky!

It has been seriously wet over the winter

A nice way to spend the afternoon aga man after a tiring morning at work , good to know that little gems like you decoyed on turn up now and again and gladly you were in the position to take advantage of the situation.

Having a bad back and walking 400 yards must have took the shine off  when it was time to pack up and face the return walk back with a decent bag of pigeons , glad you made it alright and hope you don't have any lasting effects with your dodgy back .