Post hole borer

powler

Hi,

Has anyone any views or reviews on the petrol post hole borer machines, there is a lot of fencing needing doing on one of the perms I shoot and even though some posts can be pushed in with the tractor bucket the straining posts and gate posts need digging in.

Mick

41 minutes ago, kennett said:

We have a Stihl one that runs a 6" auger no problem, but it's an arm or leg breaker if it bites a root or stone.

Does the Stihl one not have a clutch safety? Or is it still a little brutal?

Im looking at the one in the sales section. 

12 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Don't confuse with the Chinese tat, this is a well designed and well built product that works! Has a safety brake which prevents twisting should the auger catch on something.

according to this off the sales it sounds ok, but I've never used one?

6 minutes ago, 243deer said:

If you have a tractor why not a pto hole borer? Even if you buy new and sell 2nd hand after a few jobs it will pay for itself in saved time and energy.

This is something I was thinking about which would be safer but its hard getting a farmer to part with his money, some of the fencing is down through a steep wood and I put the posts in with a hand rammer and used a tree to strain off, so if I can finish off the woodland fencing this way then a PTO driven would be easier in the fields.

Reading up if a petrol driven borer was to be bought then it would need to be a geed safety brake.

31 minutes ago, powler said:

This is something I was thinking about which would be safer but its hard getting a farmer to part with his money, some of the fencing is down through a steep wood and I put the posts in with a hand rammer and used a tree to strain off, so if I can finish off the woodland fencing this way then a PTO driven would be easier in the fields.

Reading up if a petrol driven borer was to be bought then it would need to be a geed safety brake.

Out of curiosity how many posts are you talking about? Would it be cheaper and easier to have everything laid out ready then have someone come in and bore the holes? 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Out of curiosity how many posts are you talking about? Would it be cheaper and easier to have everything laid out ready then have someone come in and bore the holes? 

At a guess 130/150 posts for the farm border fencing but many many more for internal fields but no rush for the internal fencing, its mainly the straining and gate posts that will need boring or digging in, most of the four inch posts can be pushed in with the front loader on the tractor.

Maybe I could try and get him to buy one with his brother who has a farm next door.

51 minutes ago, powler said:

At a guess 130/150 posts for the farm border fencing but many many more for internal fields but no rush for the internal fencing, its mainly the straining and gate posts that will need boring or digging in, most of the four inch posts can be pushed in with the front loader on the tractor.

Maybe I could try and get him to buy one with his brother who has a farm next door.

I was thinking the cost of the borer might be dearer than a day or two's labour, but that's a lot of posts.

22 hours ago, Jaymo said:

It has a knock off safety bar, which is designed to hit your leg on the way past, but still a quick, sharp twist to get that far, and doesn't work if it misses you on the way round. Good bit of kit though and makes life a lot easier!

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Forget it for that much work.  A borer is a problem solver for occasional use.

A clonk-on-top type of machine is what's needed so have a look at them

Yer I agree after the feedback from you guys and doing more research

20 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

They're brilliant machines but very painful even with the safety brake. If the catch a root it can be unpleasant. 

Not as unpleasant as digging yards and yards of fencing holes, :)Neater holes too, i used to have an old 08S it was always a 2 man job though, if you did get it stuck solid you could have a good old swing round on it. Obviously not allowed to play now due to H&S.