Free Hammer guns...

Gillaroo

Just wondered if anyone is interested in 3 old hammer guns whose barrels are out of proof? Makers are Joseph Braddell, Altendorf & Wright and Mayne. Actions are reasonably tight and they may serve as either wall hangers, restoration projects or spares. The Braddell is particularly nice in that it has the Purdey-style thumb release on the trigger guard. Off to the local police next week to free up space in the cabinet if nobody can make use of them. Cheers Gillaroo.

Not looking to sell but give these away with maybe a small donation to charity.

2 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Doesn't need to go to proof house a gunsmith or anyone with the tools can measure the barrels 

The pitting and dents wouldn’t pass the proofing test and walls are fairly thin on 2 of them. I’ll see what FEO advises on Monday 

6 minutes ago, Gillaroo said:

The pitting and dents wouldn’t pass the proofing test and walls are fairly thin on 2 of them. I’ll see what FEO advises on Monday 

Also no proof checks were done when they were given to me and went on my ticket with FEO approval - two weren’t on a ticket at all!! Can’t imagine every used gun that changes hands is proof checked especially when it’s cert holder to cert holder and not through a RFD? Not wishing to do anything illegal but would be an interesting debate for another thread.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

You CAN give them away, whether in proof or not, you just can’t sell an out of proof gun. 

This. 100% correct. Whilst it is unlawful to sell (or display for sale) a gun that is not in proof. It is not and has never been an offence to give one away. If people don't know what the law says then I wish they wouldn't make guesses. It doesn't help. 

Having said that better maybe than surrender them is to to give Gavin Gardiner at Pulborough a telephone call to see if he would sell them as "stock and action" in one of his frequent auction sales. So although West Sussex he's quite local to you perhaps?

Edited by enfieldspares

24 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

This. 100% correct. Whilst it is unlawful to sell (or display for sale) a gun that is not in proof. It is not and has never been an offence to give one away. If people don't know what the law says then I wish they wouldn't make guesses. It doesn't help. 

Having said that better maybe than surrender them is to to give Gavin Gardiner at Pulborough a telephone call to see if he would sell them as "stock and action" in one of his frequent auction sales. So although West Sussex he's quite local to you perhaps?

Thanks for that but I can’t really get that far away as we are the opposite end of the county.