Inbreeding

Mother and son I would consider way too close, and unnecessary. if you want to keep your breed strong, it takes year's. And a one time cross like that won't do it. So many things to consider. But if you have good working dogs you need to try and keep that breed going. But it takes time and is always a ongoing  process. This lockdown is going to damage alot of working breeds, because nearly everyone  (except the real shooting men that care more about breeding good working dogs than money)  with a bitch will have bred with any dog to get a litter  so to get a Chunk of the extornorite price's being charged for pup's. And not try and get best possible dog, for say bitch to improve breed. And alot of the time say bitch should never be bred because she is not good enough. But this has been a problem long before any lockdown was ever heard of.  Too many lads looking at their dogs through rose tinted glasses !

23 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Mother and son I would consider way too close, and unnecessary. if you want to keep your breed strong, it takes year's. And a one time cross like that won't do it. So many things to consider. But if you have good working dogs you need to try and keep that breed going. But it takes time and is always a ongoing  process. This lockdown is going to damage alot of working breeds, because nearly everyone  (except the real shooting men that care more about breeding good working dogs than money)  with a bitch will have bred with any dog to get a litter  so to get a Chunk of the extornorite price's being charged for pup's. And not try and get best possible dog, for say bitch to improve breed. And alot of the time say bitch should never be bred because she is not good enough. But this has been a problem long before any lockdown was ever heard of.  Too many lads looking at their dogs through rose tinted glasses !

Good post kriko..

9 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

People been breeding from dogs with faults for years. Noisy, hard mouth, etc. If you ask them they don’t even know they’re recognised as faults half the time. 

If you ask them if the dogs worked and what it’s like they’ll tell you it’s great and works a massive number of days per season. This normally means it’s taken along to a shoot where it’s allowed to run around out of control for a bit. 

Lockdowns not changed anything regarding that, just simply an increase of the number of people doing it. 

Personally i view the inbreeding of dogs with the same disdain as the inbreeding of humans,i knew a fella years ago who lost a beautiful 2yr old spaniel to a heart problem,it was later discovered that another dog from the same litter suffered the same fate at a very early age,allegedly directly linked to inbreeding,i've heard other similar stories over the years.

A video as an example of the effects that can result from human inbreeding...

For anyone interested Mark Laita (Soft White Underbelly) done a series of videos interviewing some very'interesting' characters,worth a watch.

Apologies if this post derails the thread.....

18 hours ago, 51/50 said:

Personally i view the inbreeding of dogs with the same disdain as the inbreeding of humans,i knew a fella years ago who lost a beautiful 2yr old spaniel to a heart problem,it was later discovered that another dog from the same litter suffered the same fate at a very early age,allegedly directly linked to inbreeding,i've heard other similar stories over the years.

For anyone interested Mark Laita (Soft White Underbelly) done a series of videos interviewing some very'interesting' characters,worth a watch.

That video is tragic 😢

On 30/03/2021 at 22:16, 51/50 said:

A bit extreme but far from unusual in rural parts of America. We cant begin to imagine the lifestyles that sort of poverty and the isolation creates. In general, the further you live off grid the lower are your life choices

Its not like the Waltons

9 hours ago, Vince Green said:

A bit extreme but far from unusual in rural parts of America. We cant begin to imagine the lifestyles that sort of poverty and the isolation creates. In general, the further you live off grid the lower are your life choices

Its not like the Waltons

Suppose every holes a goal. Cold nights and all that. 

On 27/03/2021 at 21:07, oscarsdad said:

Certain cultures still have high level of inbreeding in humans and then wonder why they have a very high percentage of congenital abnormalities compared to normal behaviour. Inbreeding is just wrong and likely to result in poorly offspring. 

There is nothing further to add. Game, set and match. Point very well made