does anyone have a polecat hob

dogsnuts

I don't mean to moan lads, but there is too much ferret breeding going on at the moment.

if you want any kits, ring one of the ferret rescue centres, especially this time of year they will soon be having loads of unwanted kits in,

My local one, which I use and support, rescues and rehomes around 250 ferrets a year. :thumbs:

An interesting point there about overbreeding, as a jill ferret will die if not mated. So what is the solution?. You cant give them away in the summer!. Tiercel and I briefly discussed this problem earlier in the year, when we both needed ferrets but had a problem acquiring them in february. Sounds like a no win situation all round, moreso for the ferrets. Are these ferrets availlable from the rescue society in the wintertime?.

An interesting point there about overbreeding, as a jill ferret will die if not mated. So what is the solution?. You cant give them away in the summer!. Tiercel and I briefly discussed this problem earlier in the year, when we both needed ferrets but had a problem acquiring them in february. Sounds like a no win situation all round, moreso for the ferrets. Are these ferrets availlable from the rescue society in the wintertime?.

Brooktrout,

the two ways around a Jill staying in season are, to mate her with a castrated male or to have her neutered, :lol:

and why do you have to have ferrets at a particular time of year??? can you not plan ahead and get them early or wait until they are available?

Sounds to me like the only problem is irresponsible owners and the only ones to lose out are the ferrets! :thumbs:

Vermin dropper, we usually keep about three ferrets which has always been adequate for our needs, thats after more than thirty years of ferreting. This winter we were unfortunate enough to lose two ferrets on the same day after killing then lying up.That was the reason for needing them in february, and nothing to do with not planning ahead. Let me add that a distance of around four hundred miles was covered driving a round trip of 36 miles daily to try to recover them, finally getting one back. We consider it a DUTY to do the utmost to retrieve a lost ferret, so would never wish to be even suspected of irresponsibility. Neutering a jill, yes, that can be a solution for some. Mating her with a castrated hob? tell me more.

Hi lads. Iam new to this foram business so i may take a while to type a reply.

It is true that some jills can die if they r not mated while in season. The condition is called r u ready for this, Ostrogen-induced anaemia. Watch out for pale lips & gums+difficulty in breathing. I Lost two good working ferrets through this illness.

>We consider it a DUTY to do the utmost to retrieve a lost ferret, so would never wish to be even suspected of irresponsibility.

No disrespect but get a collar and locator, to ferret without one could be called irresponsible, and if you had one and a spade, you would still have two ferrets

>Neutering a jill, yes, that can be a solution for some. Mating her with a castrated hob? tell me more.

You can

1)neuter,

2)get the jill jab or

3)use a castrated male to hump her and bring her out of season.

All work to bring the jill out of season safely most of the time

using a castrated male means basically, you let her have her way with a hob, but he has had the snip so she doesnt concieve.(not 100% reliable as the tubes the vet snips are very small and not guaranteeable)

It has been hinted twice now on here that I am irresponsible! Sorry guys, but know the facts first before judging from on high! On the day the two ferrets were lost, a locator let us down, so using a locator still lost us a good ferret. I immediately ordered a replacement for this, { and this fact can be prooved on this thread if needed } Rarms, locators can be as unguaranteeable as a vets snips!. and I AINT irresponsible.

OK so the locator failed, did you test it before hand??

Did you consider the option of using a liner??

what ever way you look at it you lost 2 ferrets and want replacements, that still doesn't change the fact that there is too much unnecessary ferret breeding going on, if you're embarrassed then pm me and I'll send you the number of the rescue centre, they also have contacts all round the country. ;)

people usually breed their ferrets or let the season run because they are ignorant, irresponsible or just too bloody tight to pay for the neutering!