Carnage in Spain (and France and Italy) for British Ex Pats this week

Vince Green

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello, while I agree the X Pats should have found the residency information and applied as the Spanish Government requested, maybe we should boycott holidays in Spain if they are going to treat people like that, and X Pats who are living there spend millions of Euros and many have a business enjoyed by the Spanish people, 

59 minutes ago, henry d said:

What do you think the British government would do in a similar situation?

Stick to the agreement as it was laid out. That is what we are doing with all the EU citizens that are here. However a lot have been forced to return to their home countries as their work here has dried up because of covid. 

There is a bigger difference, a lot of the British Ex Pats  are retired and living on pensions, plus they own the property they live in over there. The EU Nationals that live here are much younger, working and sending or taking their wages out of the country.

51 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, do any foreign nationals come to uk for retirement ?

Flippin' thousands, but not from the EU.  Blair/ Brown allowed elderly dependents of people already here a right of entry into UK

Edited by Vince Green

40 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, while I agree the X Pats should have found the residency information and applied as the Spanish Government requested, maybe we should boycott holidays in Spain if they are going to treat people like that, and X Pats who are living there spend millions of Euros and many have a business enjoyed by the Spanish people, 

Don't get ya hopes up, millions of Brits are addicted to sunshine holidays like they are happy pills and won't give up spending holiday money in Europe rather than here.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Are the EU nationals (who failed to apply/obtain the settled status) going to be allowed to stay in UK? 🤔

Aren’t these the expats that didn’t bother to register in Spain?  One of the reasons being that they didn’t want to pay income tax whilst working cash in hand over there; so if that is a reason and similar was being done in the UK I think most tax paying people would want the same thing doing. 

57 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, do any foreign nationals come to uk for retirement ?

Nope, we pay taxes (including for NHS) since we work in UK and probably need less services than people retired in Spain? 

6 minutes ago, Docleo said:

Are the EU nationals (who failed to apply/obtain the settled status) going to be allowed to stay in UK? 🤔

Hello, an interesting comment, 

6 minutes ago, Gu5 said:

Aren’t these the expats that didn’t bother to register in Spain?  One of the reasons being that they didn’t want to pay income tax whilst working cash in hand over there; so if that is a reason and similar was being done in the UK I think most tax paying people would want the same thing doing. 

Hello, if that is the case that they never bother  then yes should be removed, there's a saying, When in Rome !!!!?

8 minutes ago, Gu5 said:

I believe so.:good:

Having been out to visit my mother in law on the Costa Blanca I can well believe the sentiments expressed in this screengrab.  She has more sense but I spoke to a lot of Brit expats who were voting leave but who were massively complacent about what it might mean for them if they didnt then apply for their resedencia.  

20210329_144532.jpg

2 hours ago, Gu5 said:

Exactly. They have had plenty of time and warning to sort the situation out .....?????.... three years is it now ???

12 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

One wonders why his application was rejected and how many others there were in that boat?

That's rather the crux of the matter. All EU residents over here had to do is show they entered the country legally, had proof of ID and proof of continuous residence and I imagine the Spanish system was similar (being reciprocal and all that...). Wonder which bit Shaun failed?  

Also - they have had 4 years to do this. What did they think would happen? 

As someone who has had to navigate the 'proper' immigration system of this country (which is a major ball ache and ££££) I never at any point thought the rules shouldn't apply to me. My sympathy is hugely limited.