Expanding reamers

Gordon R

Acquired a box load of these and in the process of cleaning them up. The bottom reamer is how they were and the top five, I have now cleaned up. They come up surprisingly well - largest is about a foot long. The one next to the bottom has unusual blades which I have never come across. Instead of a straight edge, they have a wavy pattern. Looking at them, I wondered if it was to achieve a smoother cut.

Does anyone know if this is the actual purpose?

rsz_005.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

The grease sounds sense to me.

Got seven decent ones, but a few where the adjusters and blades are stuck. They are in a bucket of Coca Cola, to see if it really works.

Velocette - that too makes sense. Out of twenty, only one has the serrated blades.

Edited by Gordon R

The Coca Cola worked for two adjustables, but another six remain solid. I am beginning to regret starting cleaning them up. Got nine decent reamers now. 

If Cola doesn't work, where do I go to unseize the rest? Heat, diesel? It is the large ones that are really stuck.

Gordon

The wavey edge is to improve lubrication and finish on certain materials.

If you you can get them into a sonic cleaner that would be great.  Sadly mine is bust and not big enough.

Soak them in red diesel for a week or so, then apply heat from a heat gun.

That should do the trick.

webber

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

The Coca Cola worked for two adjustables, but another six remain solid. I am beginning to regret starting cleaning them up. Got nine decent reamers now. 

If Cola doesn't work, where do I go to unseize the rest? Heat, diesel? It is the large ones that are really stuck.

mixture of ATF and Paraffin or turps always works for me! Half and half.

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Thanks - a few things to try there. I held a couple in the big vice and used an adjustable on the other end. I was getting a bit twitchy about the spanner coming off and damaging my hands yet again.

Don't force it, soak it for a week or more

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Brunox in my workshop for some time  and think it is the bees knees for freeing rusted items .Recently a car parts dealer told me that, encouraged by a sales agent he had conducted tests and found to his surprise that brunox was superior to many other release oils .

I had freed up about 10 and soaked four of them in coke for four days. The soaking came to an abrupt end when my youngest paid us a visit and knocked over the container. That said, three have freed up with just one now seized. I had sprayed it with penetrating oil and will try again. It has become a bit of a challenge as I haven't used a reamer in 45 years, but will stick at it.