Heads up in Norfolk

ditchman

to those of you who keep chickens and live in Norfolk........please start to check you chicken coops are proper dug in.MINK ARE ON THE RISE AGAIN..........

My mate (couple of hundred yds away from me) lost nearly 30 chickens in one night..........so far he has caught and dispatched 3 mink and that wont be the end of it......so just double check yer chucks......

ditch

Norfolk& Suffolk Sabs now actively targeting, encouraging their lot to destroy mink traps. Including on WT sites and reserves. Saying mink have been with us for so long now they have naturalised and become part of our ecology like other natural predators. Yeah right! Tell that to water voles, moorhens, grebes and ducks etc. They certainly spreading. Shot 3 in last year or so where i had previously seen none and that's without seeking them out. . . . . . Otters seem to be everywhere. I wonder if it's them pushing mink about and away from hunting on rivers? . . . . Otters regularly patrol gardens in my village well away from any significant water cause. Been found laying up in straw stacks and pig arc's. At one time dogs in village started repeatedly kicking off barking in middle of night and trail cams showed it to be otters visiting gardens/ponds. Been a lot of pics this Spring of piles of dead/half eaten frogs and some toads by some waters. Said to be otters and so many just left it looked like they just catching and killing for fun. WT said several years back Suffolk rivers had reached their carrying compacity for otters. On a recent program on the River Deben Suffolk WT said they had trapped over 20,000 mink themselves. Imagine that number would be higher in Norfolk? Strange mink not mentioned in RSPB pest control figures!?      NB