favourite vedge

ditchman

its on the shelves again and i love it..............spring cabbage........my body craves for it.....finely chopped ...steamed squeeze of lemon twist of black pepper....good to go with lamb ...beef....pork....chinese ribs and sticky sauce...........

love the colour

2 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Very nice, I'll have to check my local fruit n veg shop to see if they have any stocked. Usually I'm just grabbing the darkest Savoy I can find to go with stewed steak carrots n onions.

I love savoy cabbage, especially with a porchetta or belly pork.

4 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

There's an old boy up the road who grows Purple Sprouting Broccoli ....

We love it !!

Steamed, with a poached egg on top, and a few Parmesan shavings .. delish !!

luuuuve PSB..........i would be a bit iffy about having a poached egg on it tho'

2 hours ago, Pangolin said:

I love savoy cabbage, especially with a porchetta or belly pork.

i crave for simple meals like that.............

Too many favourites to choose from... spring onions tossed in olive oil, salt n pepper then BBQ'd....cauliflower roasted in olive oil, paprika, salt n pepper.....savoy cabbage with anything......samphire dripping in butter...cavolo nero.....butternut squash and sage ravioli with pine nuts and beurre noisette....or just a bowl of roast potatoes dipped in mint sauce

Edited by Pangolin

tomorrow im using  a thick belly pork slice (2") .....fried ....few onions....then into the slow cooker for 4 hours with spring onions and a sweet sour sticky sauce made from plum jam soya sauce ginger worster sauce..and a dash of coca-cola....tomatoe paste and some oil....seved up after 4 hours with basmati rice and purple sprouting broccoli with a squeeze of lemon and a twist of black pepper.........

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

Proper jersey royals dripping with butter. 

they dont taste like they used to ....why ?

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

tomorrow im using  a thick belly pork slice (2") .....fried ....few onions....then into the slow cooker for 4 hours with spring onions and a sweet sour sticky sauce made from plum jam soya sauce ginger worster sauce..and a dash of coca-cola....tomatoe paste and some oil....seved up after 4 hours with basmati rice and purple sprouting broccoli with a squeeze of lemon and a twist of black pepper.........

Make sure you've washed that ginger well!:w00t::cool1:

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

I don't know but they don't anymore  -  had some Cornish last year that were close.

do you remenber years ago those tats that used to come in from cyprus....they were unwashed straight out of the ground and had yellow flesh....they were nice

One bit of veg me and my missus get every time they come in is Romanesco, seems to be a very short season for them in the local fruit n veg place but my goodness they are lovely.

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

do you remenber years ago those tats that used to come in from cyprus....they were unwashed straight out of the ground and had yellow flesh....they were nice

Still get the Cyprus spuds over here in NI, my wife's favourite, she will steam a few, mash them in a bowl with butter and that's her sorted for dinner

16 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

One bit of veg me and my missus get every time they come in is Romanesco, seems to be a very short season for them in the local fruit n veg place but my goodness they are lovely.

Yes, they are great. Almost like a cauli/brocoli hybrid if you use them for cauli cheese.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Still get the Cyprus spuds over here in NI, my wife's favourite, she will steam a few, mash them in a bowl with butter and that's her sorted for dinner

now how come you get them in NI..............and i havnt seen them for 20 years at least over here

On 31/03/2021 at 12:05, ditchman said:

its on the shelves again and i love it..............spring cabbage........my body craves for it.....finely chopped ...steamed squeeze of lemon twist of black pepper....good to go with lamb ...beef....pork....chinese ribs and sticky sauce...........

love the colour

Yep, could not agree more. Saw the first in our farm sop last week and purchased two. Must nip over and see if they still have them in...you nudged me.  Second choice broad beans which I grow sufficient of to freeze for the year ahead. Just planted this seasons seeds. Harvest the lot , vaccum pack and they last through till the new crop comes in.

I don't blanch and all that carp. Just straight out of the pod into the pack, vaccuum and freeze and they come out just like fresh.

39 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, could not agree more. Saw the first in our farm sop last week and purchased two. Must nip over and see if they still have them in...you nudged me.  Second choice broad beans which I grow sufficient of to freeze for the year ahead. Just planted this seasons seeds. Harvest the lot , vaccum pack and they last through till the new crop comes in.

I don't blanch and all that carp. Just straight out of the pod into the pack, vaccuum and freeze and they come out just like fresh.

Broad beans in a homemade fresh parsley sause  with homebaked Ham....................yum yum