Plant ID advice sought please

JohnfromUK

I have a nasty crop of these;

The leaves all grow from the top of the root/rhizome and I believe if left long enough they have small blue flowers.  I dug a lot out last year, but the root/rhizome goes very deep and some broke off - and I think those are (at least in part) what has come back this year.  Not easy to spot spray as they are amongst other (wanted) things.  I'd be grateful to know what they are - and any good tips for elimination (short of digging half way to Australia!)  The root on the one photographed has broken off, but about 9" underground.

0B2F731D-D3CE-47DF-B772-819D6E9CA93D_1_105_c.jpeg

9 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a nasty crop of these;

The leaves all grow from the top of the root/rhizome and I believe if left long enough they have small blue flowers.  I dug a lot out last year, but the root/rhizome goes very deep and some broke off - and I think those are (at least in part) what has come back this year.  Not easy to spot spray as they are amongst other (wanted) things.  I'd be grateful to know what they are - and any good tips for elimination (short of digging half way to Australia!)  The root on the one photographed has broken off, but about 9" underground.

0B2F731D-D3CE-47DF-B772-819D6E9CA93D_1_105_c.jpeg

Is it Green Alkanet?

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, comfrey.  Make a poltise and wrap around your sore joints. Used for horses a lot.

mel 3 would be disappointed with that...........him being fond of figging and ginger. an stuff.....he wouldnt use it cause it wouldnt fit up his rear end:oops:

image.png.82f050405b98c2468ffa5e3ff116592c.png

But then using your second photo with the flower brings up something which concurs with the above suggestions....

image.png.1e5263d5c80ecb373f06ae3af8e4792a.png

App is called Picture This which is free in limited form but paid for if you want full features.  I use the free version, good enough for occasional use

Edited by Jim Neal

I'd go with that!

Going back to some earlier comments on the thread, my OH acquired a few rhizomes of comfrey several years ago to grow as a companion plant and harvest for its fertilisation abilities - you pick leaves and steep them in water to make "comfrey tea" which you then pour over your other plants.  It ****** stinks!!!  Not sure if it's helped the tomatoes or not as I pee on them quite regularly when I'm caught short out in the garden.

Comfrey gets very big, very quickly.  I should use it as a nickname for my......

Edited by Jim Neal