Subsonic TSS loads ?

Guest cookoff013

Hmm, 

Vectan A1, 42g tungsten, probably 70mm hull. Do able. Really easy though. Could probably squeek that to 36g payload with steel filler aka duplex.

i wasAsked about this about 2 years ago.

TSS15   #7 using black powder  has good patterning and penetration i found when using it thru my muzzle loader .Given the  velocity of  black compared to  nitro it seemed to  perform well--but then i had cylinder in both barrels and the range was 40 yards /50 yards maximum

On 01/04/2021 at 22:46, Empire Andrew said:

As we move to a non lead world it means the subsonic loads will have to be tungsten, bismuth or TSS as steel needs high velocity to be effective 

Someone and their granny will take care of the game shooters' requirement for 50g No 3 at 1900 ft/sec.

Now, if I was just coming out of HM's forces with my pension and gratuity as opposed to doing so nigh on 40 years ago, I'd be possibly looking into starting a little business if the non toxic proposals continue to include vermin control. I'd smooth talk someone into supplying TSS 12 in just one shot size which if my calculations are correct would comfortably give give 647 ft/sec and 1.4 ftlbs at 40 yards and 565 and 1.1 at the fifty and with a pellet count of 289 to the ounce this combination would take care of both the energy and pattern requirements for the vast majority of UK pigeon shooters.

Not sub-sonic though.  

On 02/04/2021 at 06:55, cookoff013 said:

Hmm, 

Vectan A1, 42g tungsten, probably 70mm hull. Do able. Really easy though. Could probably squeek that to 36g payload with steel filler aka duplex.

i wasAsked about this about 2 years ago.

I have your sub recipe for lead, 32grms of lead and 17grns of Vectan AS, could this be adapted,  it would be good to make a suitable load using a fibre cup... does anyone have any load ideas for small gauges 28 and 410

Guest cookoff013

so the powder can do more than is advertised. 
it probably can do subsonic 32g tungsten, i would recomend the clcb wad or the gualandi tubo24 (its the same wad !)

its tall.

the often misunderstood part about shells is the volume or compression section the gas volume has to expand into, this can change everything. i had 2 loads with and without compression section. 32g bismuth vs 32g steel. the non compression wad and steel shot doubled the pressures. even 42g tungsten was less pressure !

csb5 has been used for 36g subsonics. probably can be used for tss. 

this brings me back to a little trick with the winchester hulls, the winchester hulls and have a high basewad, and unique basewad height to compress the volume the gas has to expand into. if you check out the data, it has less grains and higher pressures than, normal european hulls. so expansion volume / compression section.

alot of guys in the states are looking into this. 

the clcb wad could help, its very tall, and would benefir the low powdercharges, in low basewad 70mm european hulls. 

the lead subsonics i have seen have 15 grains of "target powder" and 1,1/4oz of lead shot.

i am not sure how this can be converted to a fibre option. without doing somrthing drastic to that compression section.

cookoff> over and out.