Wood in Wood Pigeon crop?

Pangolin

3 minutes ago, aga man said:

Interesting🤔 looks like the stems of something chopped up. Maize perhaps.

Can you think of any such thing in the area?

Cant think of any crops like that near but it was definitely wood, like pieces that had been chewed up by a flair mower and dried out, rock hard.

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

perhaps they need the wood  (softer than stone) to pre grind the rape leaf prior to it reaching the gizzard ??

Possible, just seemed an excessive amount, it was nearly bursting.

Edited by Pangolin

I had a few pigeons from close to some horse turnout areas, horses had been moved to a new location, the birds crops were full of rotting straw, horse muck and some rotting wheat, the smell was gut wrenching and I almost threw up just trying to clean them out, worst I have ever seen or smelled. 

That's a weird one, could not decide on the past tense for smell so I googled it,Smelled is the past tense of smell in both North American and British English. Smelt is also used as the past tense of smell in British English. Brits use smelled and smelt interchangeably, but speakers in North America rarely use smelt.

10 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

I had a few pigeons from close to some horse turnout areas, horses had been moved to a new location, the birds crops were full of rotting straw, horse muck and some rotting wheat, the smell was gut wrenching and I almost threw up just trying to clean them out, worst I have ever seen or smelled. 

That's a weird one, could not decide on the past tense for smell so I googled it,Smelled is the past tense of smell in both North American and British English. Smelt is also used as the past tense of smell in British English. Brits use smelled and smelt interchangeably, but speakers in North America rarely use smelt.

On 02/04/2021 at 22:20, kenholland said:

shot a pigeon , inside it's crop was full of small shell snails.

I shot a pheasant a couple of seasons ago and burst its crop with the shot.  It was full of small snails.  That was the most rancid smell I have ever experienced;  to put that into context, in the past I have cleaned up a flat full of rotten, maggot ridden meat and also cleaned a rug that somebody died on.