Dead Fox

steve_b_wales

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Estimated 50000 a year killed on the roads, a number directly relatable to their increasing numbers overall, despite the culls.

We even have 'urban' badgers now.

The protected status of badgers needs suspending, its utter madness.

Oh yes I have heard reports of urban badgers in North London. People feed them in their gardens.

I've never seen one though in town and few in the country except dead on the road

I have seen urban foxes sitting on the kerb looking left and right waiting for a gap in the traffic before they cross a busy road. Very street wise.

15 hours ago, tonker said:

Natural reaction though isn't it. see something out of the corner of your eye and you try to take avoiding action. Not saying it's right though just natural.

Try ignoring a Badger on a Motor bike I know who'll come off worse.Come off being the operative word here. lol ( and I know first hand).

Chap I worked with on the farm lost his father to a barn owl.   Broke his neck hitting it face first on a bike.  Driver found both dead on a local A road.  

As I (and he) were riding to work for 5am and seeing a lot of deer, hares, foxes etc on the roads, it gave us much food for thought/cause to be careful.  

Some twenty odd years ago , there were a couple of folk around here (Lymm Cheshire), that would go and pick up 'Road Killed ' animals . They had yellow flashing beacons on their cars ,and a sticker in the rear window with 'Animal Dignity'  in reflective lettering.  I saw them a couple of times at roadkill incidents . Not in recent years though.  I always thought what a 'noble' but  dangerous thing to do . 

On another incident , I was passed by a young female driver , on a lane well over the speed limit , who then hit a couple of ducks a few hundred metres further down the road which were  waddling across the road.  When  I  pulled up behind them at the village 'T' Junction, she had 'Vegan' motifs , and 'Meat is murder'  on the number plate below the reg number! 

23 hours ago, Vince Green said:

When I was doing an advanced driving course for work years ago, one of the things I remember getting told was never attempt to avoid an animal on the road. Let them worry about getting themselves out of your way.

Too many serious accidents have been caused by people swerving and losing control to miss a rabbit

100% on that 

6 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Muntjac are an ingoing hazard around here! 

I’ve hit two in the past, they make a flipping mess and have cost a few quid too!

Daft beggars, it’s almost as if they are playing a game of chicken. 

Maybe the problem is you have NO eye deer 😂😂😂😂

sorry I couldn’t resist 

11 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

Chap I worked with on the farm lost his father to a barn owl.   Broke his neck hitting it face first on a bike.  Driver found both dead on a local A road.  

As I (and he) were riding to work for 5am and seeing a lot of deer, hares, foxes etc on the roads, it gave us much food for thought/cause to be careful.  

When I lived in Hertfordshire years ago I used to go down all the back lanes to avoid the traffic in the mornings. Deer would often come out onto the road when the temperatures were below zero because the road was ever so slightly warmer that the surrounding fields. Not enough that we would notice but the deer obviously felt it

Unfortunately, i've run over dozens of animals over the years like cats, deer, badgers, owls, rabbits & foxes. Recently i spent 10 years working at night and thats when most wild animals decide to leap out infront of me. One particular stretch of road nearby, atleast 10 badgers have met their end. Big as they are-they're no match for a 2t Ford Transit.

Not a nice way to go, but i drive for a living and sometimes you cant prevent fate.

It's funny how I'll happily shoot anything without a second thought ,  yet it really upsets me if I run over a squirrel,  pigeon , etc. 

I well remember running over a small vixen , that I'd been trying to shoot for a couple of months  , I should have been pleased that the chicken killer was gone , but it just made me feel like a failure. 

On 03/04/2021 at 14:53, Vince Green said:

When I lived in Hertfordshire years ago I used to go down all the back lanes to avoid the traffic in the mornings. Deer would often come out onto the road when the temperatures were below zero because the road was ever so slightly warmer that the surrounding fields. Not enough that we would notice but the deer obviously felt it

Yep, the road absorbs the suns heat all day and releases it in the morning.  When I rode into London for a living, I'd notice the temperature rose a few degrees in the summer as it got really built up.  I'd ride in from Cambridge or Ipswich etc and the West End would feel like a boiler room.  I expect that the animals with their finer senses did the same on the back lanes and other roads.  

You can harness that heat in your greenhouse.  If you rig a solar powered fan to draw warm air in during the day, into a load of buried tiles, bricks etc, in the night the heat is released.  Bit Heath Robinson but it works.  

A few months ago i ran over and killed my first fox, broke my heart to be honest but it just sped across the road and i'd hit it almost as soon as it appeared. Please don't misunderstand i have shot countless foxes in controlled circumstances but for me running this one over just seemed undignified and unnecessary.

Don't bother commenting if all you have to say is 'the only good fox is a dead one' and all that ********, Thanks.

As hunters we try to ensure a clean, humane kill and most of us generally only shoot what needs shooting, whether that's for crop protection, to control vermin, or even game shoots with pheasant that have been bread for it and even then, I don't know any shooters who would take a shot at one on the ground. Anyone purposely running animals over in a vehicle, where a humane kill can't be given a decent chance I would suggest has slightly psychopathic tenancies, I've certainly never met anyone who took pleasure in hitting a fox or any other animal on the road.