Seaspiracy (film)

steve s×s

I watched it. 
The overfishing and wasteful practices of the commercial sector are no surprise having fished from the beach for over 40 years on and off and seen the massive decline in catches first hand.

Be interesting to know from those that think a plant based diet is the answer where, exactly, are we going to grow all these crops when the ever expanding human population and the houses they need to live in are taking up more and more of the land? 🤔

3 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Be interesting to know from those that think a plant based diet is the answer where, exactly, are we going to grow all these crops when the ever expanding human population and the houses they need to live in are taking up more and more of the land

I believe that they point towards the amount of land needed for feeding animals, both grazing and other feeds. Don't worry about the population it is starting to slow and should start to drop by the end of the century.

3 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

The way I read it was just a criminal enterprise £££££££ from top to bottom and if you got in the way asta la vista 

7 minutes ago, henry d said:

I believe that they point towards the amount of land needed for feeding animals, both grazing and other feeds. Don't worry about the population it is starting to slow and should start to drop by the end of the century.

We need a big population decrease in reality. 

I bet Covid hasn’t even scratched the surface. 

Everyone complains about overpopulation but when someone comes along that reduces it a bit the world grinds to a halt and tried to stop it. 🤣

On a solely economic basis its a virus that kills off the old, the weak and the sick. 

The young healthy workers carry on. 

6 minutes ago, henry d said:

I reckon they are slightly misguided then as a lot of land that animals occupy is unsuitable for crops.

What evidence is there that the population is reducing?

This might be true for the west but I’m sure I read somewhere that some emerging nations are having several children thus increasing the population. 

Simply switching to a plant based diet is not a magic wand.

2 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

reckon they are slightly misguided then as a lot of land that animals occupy is unsuitable for crops.

It's not just the land they occupy, it's the feed. A quick look gives varying figures across the internet, but 25ish% is the lowest figure I can find of land used for growing livestock feed which would feed quite a few humans considering how many are fed and how much waste we have.

I agree that a plant based diet is not acceptable, but we are eating an awful lot of meat, too much really.

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

It's not just the land they occupy, it's the feed. A quick look gives varying figures across the internet, but 25ish% is the lowest figure I can find of land used for growing livestock feed which would feed quite a few humans considering how many are fed and how much waste we have.

I agree that a plant based diet is not acceptable, but we are eating an awful lot of meat, too much really.

I think someone might be forgetting that a lot of animal feed is waste from the human food chain, but the land its grown on is still classed as land used to feeding animals.

20 hours ago, bluesj said:

I think someone might be forgetting that a lot of animal feed is waste from the human food chain, but the land its grown on is still classed as land used to feeding animals.

There was a kick back against soya being used for animal feed by the coop at the end of last year. What they didn't account for was that a large amount of the soya used in animal feed is by-product from vegan food. After it was pointed to them by a few farmers they quietly dropped the issue!

On 02/04/2021 at 10:32, Officer Barbrady said:

I watched it. 
The overfishing and wasteful practices of the commercial sector are no surprise having fished from the beach for over 40 years on and off and seen the massive decline in catches first hand.

Be interesting to know from those that think a plant based diet is the answer where, exactly, are we going to grow all these crops when the ever expanding human population and the houses they need to live in are taking up more and more of the land? 🤔

The world population in the past 100years has quadrupled from 2 billion to 8 billion and its still increasing. At this rate it could be 32 billion in another 100 years. The sad fact is that the more food we produce the more we will have to produce.

The unacceptable fishing practices relate to the huge factory fishing trawlers. Little family owned Cornish style fishing boats are the way forward, bringing in the catch like they have done for generations and selling it fresh on the quay side

6 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The world population in the past 100years has quadrupled from 2 billion to 8 billion and its still increasing. At this rate it could be 32 billion in another 100 years. The sad fact is that the more food we produce the more we will have to produce.

The unacceptable fishing practices relate to the huge factory fishing trawlers. Little family owned Cornish style fishing boats are the way forward, bringing in the catch like they have done for generations and selling it fresh on the quay side

Stopping the ridiculously wasteful commercial fishing practices we have in place could help to allow fish stocks to start recovering.

I am in agreement with you in that all the mega-trawlers should be stopped and only small scale boats allowed.

All catch should kept for sale and consumption. Chucking fish back dead or dying because they are not part of a quota is moronic.

We simply cannot carry on as we are.

As for our burgeoning population imagine trying to feed 32 billion! Soylent green doesn’t seem so science fiction now....

3 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Stopping the ridiculously wasteful commercial fishing practices we have in place could help to allow fish stocks to start recovering.

I am in agreement with you in that all the mega-trawlers should be stopped and only small scale boats allowed.

All catch should kept for sale and consumption. Chucking fish back dead or dying because they are not part of a quota is moronic.

We simply cannot carry on as we are.

As for our burgeoning population imagine trying to feed 32 billion! Soylent green doesn’t seem so science fiction now....

The other problem with, say, the big Spanish factory trawlers that fish in our waters is that the only people checking up on whether they are sticking to their quotas is their home port.

In other words, in reality, nobody is checking

The Cornish fishermen have been saying for years that its impossible to buy, run and maintain a boat that size. Sail up from Spain, fish for three or four days in British waters then sail back to Spain if they are only catching their legal quota . Pay for their fuel, pay the crew and make a profit

The sums don't add up

On 03/04/2021 at 19:06, Officer Barbrady said:

There is a lot of (good) science fiction that does go on to become science fact. The best example currently is "1984"!!!

On 03/04/2021 at 19:27, Vince Green said:

The sums don't add up

But they do on somebody's books - that's why they are doing it and they are allowed to get away with it....

I'm a bit slow to this topic.  Cattle Feed.    If you use the usual figures published to show how wasteful feeding cattle is, they usually use the big Feed Lots in America as the source of the numbers.  These cattle live in big pens, and are fed cereal/maize and protein from Soya etc, . In Britain, about 1/3rd of our land is unsuitable for growing cereals, but grows grass very well.  Such areas as the uplands, and even arable land, where it us used as a rotational crop to build fertility.  That's a very different set of figures.    Britain is in the Temperate Zone, and naturally grows grass.