Am I doing things wrong?

TVPC

Probably has been asked a multitude of times in this forum.....

But..gaining permissions

I have currently been trying for around a year with no success. 

I have business cards printed out, always take copies of basc insurance with me as well as my SGC incase it is needed to be viewed. Dress appropriately and approach when  I see crops being hit. Always at a convenient time (early morning before the work kicks off) .But yet I'm still met with set back after setback. 

I do have one glimmer on the horizon for next season as I've managed to secure some beating and helping out on a local shoot. But this is by no means a guarantee of gaining pigeon permission. 

I'm wondering if I'm doing things right as I thought that given the amount of time effort and fuel i put into driving round looking for the problems i would of thought I'd of atleast hit on by now. 

Any advice appreciated as it's getting depressing now 

Tia 

Not sure which is worse, having nothing or losing some 3000 acres of sole shooting after some  50 years. I can only suggest you keep trying. I was travelling over 70 miles each way to shoot 4 pigeons on many an occasion, but if it is all that you have, you do it. After  a lot longer than 12 months, I landed the 3000 acres. But, Landowners die and builders pay a lot more for land than farming can make. So, it is clay shooting only for me now, with maybe the odd bought day on game. Good luck with your quest.

Why do you want to shoot pigeons? 

If you want to do some shooting, as far as I'm concerned you can't beat clays. I get up in the morning knowing I am going to see 100 birds they are there when I want them, I have a whole morning shooting them, a cup of coffee and a bacon roll. Chat with regulars, and then go home

why beg  permission to protect some ungrateful farmers crops from pigeons ?

I gained 3 permissions in lockdown, got two on my route home from work.

Just knocked at the farm, had a chat, that was 2 sorted. 3rd one I wrote a letter, he called me up and I went to see him he said yes.

Now got 600 acres 5 mins from home.

What are they saying when you approach them?

Permission comes when you least expect it, I had a .410 with nowhere to shoot, did all the door knocking and even stopped tractor drivers in fields asking if there was any chance, but they all said no, then one day I was at work when the old boy who did the cleaning stopped to chat, the subject came up and I explained the problems, he just said, I own 12 acres, if you like you can have a shoot on there anytime you like, some big trees , pigeons and crows plus a few rabbits, I was over the moon but then came the catch, the land was rented to a local farm for grazing some cattle, he gave me the farmers name and address and suggested I check with him before going on the land, so that evening I drove down to the farm, explained the situation and asked if it was ok for me to be on there, he looked me up and down , asked a few questions about my gun, experience etc, then said "if you like you can shoot my whole farm for vermin as long as you don't scare the foxes" ( he rode with the local hunt and had several fox earths on the farm ), there were around 400 acres of cereals and a small wood, I couldn't believe my luck, after that I got into breeding and training springer spaniels, was asked to pick up on several local shoots, even ran a local walk up shoot for a few years, got in with local game keepers and now have thousands of acres to shoot over, 

Thing is pigeon and crow shooting is not always busy and successful, a lot of driving, walking, hours in a hide , cold winds and very few birds but you are still expected to put in an appearance, spend hours just waiting around for little return just so that the farmers know you are reliable, but the good days always make up for the bad. 

I kicked one into touch last year, that was 1100 acres of Foxing, Muntjac and a bit of rough shooting, you could have that if you could stand being spoken too like a bit of dog doo doo.

Keep at it you have been unfortunate to try at a very difficult time in our lives. Look into some shoots around your area (wherever that is you dont show your location) get into some beating this coming season you may meet some contacts.

Locating some beating is probably one way of making contacts but even getting a slot as a beater is not always easy with most estates having regular teams who know every blade of grass on the ground but keep at it even go and have a couple of mornings on the clays you may make a contact there.

I've heard of someone putting an ad in a local farming newspaper offering free pest control. He got a few positive responses.

As for shooting clays, I guess it just depends on what floats your boat. I enjoy shooting clays with a shotgun and targets with a rifle, but it's just a means to an end. It makes me a better hunter. If the hunting element was removed, I would sell all my guns. 

Just keep at it buddy , you seem to be doing everything in the correct manner . It took me a couple of years to get even a tiny permission. 

Lost some and gained some over the years , and gave some up as well.  They can be like buses, nothing , then suddenly three at once!

Good luck.

Did you follow up on this from Ladyjack?...https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/403772-pigeoncorvid-shooting-in-northumberland/?tab=comments#comment-3736077

I see he's is also in Newcastle the very area you are in, his reply looks like he maybe offering some help, it might be worth contacting him.

Edited by old'un

Don't just limit yourself to beating at one place. I have one place where I attend every shoot and a few other places where I go if one of their regulars can't make it.

Network and make yourself known to as many people as possible.

DON'T be too pushy in trying to get shooting from other beaters/gamekeeper, they'll likely ask you to participate once they get to know you.

DO be helpful and join in the banter with the rest of the team. 

Eventually opportunities will come along. 

I notice you are from Prudhoe, plenty of farmland west along the A69. Have you tried out Corbridge, Stocksfield or Ponteland. Failing that have a look at Newcastle wildfowlers, they have access to pigeon shooting and inland fowling (although there are one or two on here who will be insulted by calling it fowling). They also hold monthly meetings and social events (dog scurries, clay shoots, BBQ). A good place to go and meet like minded people, and if you are mad enough they'll even arrange a few guided trips to lindisfarne. 

Edited by toontastic

On 03/04/2021 at 09:14, old'un said:

Did you follow up on this from Ladyjack?...https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/403772-pigeoncorvid-shooting-in-northumberland/?tab=comments#comment-3736077

I see he's is also in Newcastle the very area you are in, his reply looks like he maybe offering some help, it might be worth contacting him.

Bump.

On 03/04/2021 at 11:17, toontastic said:

I notice you are from Prudhoe, plenty of farmland west along the A69. Have you tried out Corbridge, Stocksfield or Ponteland. Failing that have a look at Newcastle wildfowlers, they have access to pigeon shooting and inland fowling (although there are one or two on here who will be insulted by calling it fowling). They also hold monthly meetings and social events (dog scurries, clay shoots, BBQ). A good place to go and meet like minded people, and if you are mad enough they'll even arrange a few guided trips to lindisfarne. 

I agree about joining a local wildfowling club if you have got one near at hand , our two local clubs have got a fair bit of pigeon shooting and to be honest not that many members are into series pigeon shooting , yes you do get the odd person who do go but you can go several days and sometimes weeks without see anyone , once you gain experience you can often get a neighbours farm by quoting the farm you had been on when you noticed pigeons were hitting your Peas or whatever while you were shooting on Mr sorn so's , you have also got access to dog training , clay pigeon shooting , insurance and of course wild fowling . 

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I agree about joining a local wildfowling club if you have got one near at hand , our two local clubs have got a fair bit of pigeon shooting and to be honest not that many members are into series pigeon shooting , yes you do get the odd person who do go but you can go several days and sometimes weeks without see anyone , once you gain experience you can often get a neighbours farm by quoting the farm you had been on when you noticed pigeons were hitting your Peas or whatever while you were shooting on Mr sorn so's , you have also got access to dog training , clay pigeon shooting , insurance and of course wild fowling . 

This is great advice, I’ve been trying for permission/s for two years so far and have made no inroads so I’ve now gone down the route of applying for my local fowling club which will allow as much shooting as I like including pigeon shooting on farms (if I’m accepted) for a very reasonable yearly fee. 

1 hour ago, Spr1985 said:

This is great advice, I’ve been trying for permission/s for two years so far and have made no inroads so I’ve now gone down the route of applying for my local fowling club which will allow as much shooting as I like including pigeon shooting on farms (if I’m accepted) for a very reasonable yearly fee. 

I believe you have got a few W A clubs in Essex and hopefully there is one close to where you live , to cut down on travelling the closer the better .

I am not saying all the clubs have the same amount of Pigeon shooting but it would certainly be worth enquiring as our club members can go whenever they want without informing either the club or the farm they are going on , from the end of the season it is normally rape till around now , over the next week or two the Peas will be drilled and these will last until vined , then you move on to the grain fields throughout the Summer with some stubble shooting , this would then keep you happy until the wildfowling season restart.

GOOD LUCK    MM

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

if you can find the birds name the crop where it is and knock dressed to go with the kit on board you should be getting perms easy must be something wrong give few more details 

Hi clangerman, I’m intrigued by your post as it goes against all advice that I’ve ever read (I’m certainly NOT saying you are wrong)  I have given details of crop, the location, a rough time estimate every time and a video on a couple of occasions. I am always polite always have copies of paperwork with me insurance, sgc, etc always dressed smart/casual, drive respectfully on their property (and off) I have never gone dressed for the task or with equipment as I’ve read in multiple places that that’s a big no no and also been advised the same from shooting friends. I have been asked the same question multiple time “where else do you shoot” and the same thing happens every time I give my answer that I don’t currently have a permission and only shoot with friends on their permissions/land .......any form of interest that may have been present disappears and get the usual we already have someone/ we have deterrents out/ we can’t get anyone to vouch for you. Again I’m always polite and accept the answer but always ask if I can leave my details for future reference....I’ve never had a call back. So my intrigue is, do you sincerely believe that knocking kitted up and ready to go is a) acceptable b)a good way to show you’re keen and c) the way to gain permissions?  I’m open to any and all advise and after reading your post feel I may have missed a truck/listened to the wrong advice. 

I would imagine that the original posters story will be very much the same as mine. I do believe that eventually I’ll call at the rite place at the rite time but I also understand why people give up, it’s So frustrating knowing you could help but constantly getting knocked back. 

45 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

Hi clangerman, I’m intrigued by your post as it goes against all advice that I’ve ever read (I’m certainly NOT saying you are wrong)  I have given details of crop, the location, a rough time estimate every time and a video on a couple of occasions. I am always polite always have copies of paperwork with me insurance, sgc, etc always dressed smart/casual, drive respectfully on their property (and off) I have never gone dressed for the task or with equipment as I’ve read in multiple places that that’s a big no no and also been advised the same from shooting friends. I have been asked the same question multiple time “where else do you shoot” and the same thing happens every time I give my answer that I don’t currently have a permission and only shoot with friends on their permissions/land .......any form of interest that may have been present disappears and get the usual we already have someone/ we have deterrents out/ we can’t get anyone to vouch for you. Again I’m always polite and accept the answer but always ask if I can leave my details for future reference....I’ve never had a call back. So my intrigue is, do you sincerely believe that knocking kitted up and ready to go is a) acceptable b)a good way to show you’re keen and c) the way to gain permissions?  I’m open to any and all advise and after reading your post feel I may have missed a truck/listened to the wrong advice. 

I would imagine that the original posters story will be very much the same as mine. I do believe that eventually I’ll call at the rite place at the rite time but I also understand why people give up, it’s So frustrating knowing you could help but constantly getting knocked back. 

I agree. Always been told not to rock up ready to go. 

I have referenced other places I've shot at as a guest and gave details of the landowner etc 

But always get met with, we have someone already, or I'll call you if none of the others cant make it. A polite way of saying no I guess. 

I've even a farmer say he doesnt have a pest problem when the pigeons were streaming in behind him and the field was grey! 

10 hours ago, old'un said:

Bump.

Did try but got no response

In my experience nothing annoys farmers more that the almost constant stream of strangers knocking at their door asking for shooting permission.

Get to know all the local farmers first and eventually permission will come. Turning up ready to go works much better if you are already known there. Buy eggs regularly. Buy meat from their farm shops. Buy hay and straw for your daughter’s horse. Drink in pubs farmers frequent. Anything, but get to know your local farmers. Eventually, they will ask you to shoot.