Am I doing things wrong?

TVPC

12 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Hi clangerman, I’m intrigued by your post as it goes against all advice that I’ve ever read (I’m certainly NOT saying you are wrong)  I have given details of crop, the location, a rough time estimate every time and a video on a couple of occasions. I am always polite always have copies of paperwork with me insurance, sgc, etc always dressed smart/casual, drive respectfully on their property (and off) I have never gone dressed for the task or with equipment as I’ve read in multiple places that that’s a big no no and also been advised the same from shooting friends. I have been asked the same question multiple time “where else do you shoot” and the same thing happens every time I give my answer that I don’t currently have a permission and only shoot with friends on their permissions/land .......any form of interest that may have been present disappears and get the usual we already have someone/ we have deterrents out/ we can’t get anyone to vouch for you. Again I’m always polite and accept the answer but always ask if I can leave my details for future reference....I’ve never had a call back. So my intrigue is, do you sincerely believe that knocking kitted up and ready to go is a) acceptable b)a good way to show you’re keen and c) the way to gain permissions?  I’m open to any and all advise and after reading your post feel I may have missed a truck/listened to the wrong advice. 

I would imagine that the original posters story will be very much the same as mine. I do believe that eventually I’ll call at the rite place at the rite time but I also understand why people give up, it’s So frustrating knowing you could help but constantly getting knocked back. 

sounds like your doing it right i knock ready to go because if you stand there telling him he needs a pigeon shooter a day tripper in trainers is not much good to him don’t give up had to let 26 perms go once when I recovered started again now have more than enough remember don’t knock just once some take several knocks to crack good luck with it 

This isn’t necessarily advice to the OP but just my two pence worth:

I personally am more inclined to follow @London Best‘s advice. I’m too reserved to go about knocking on doors, worried about disturbing people or being rejected.

Not that it happens more than once a year, but if someone knocks on my door unexpectedly to try their wares they do not get a warm welcome. And I afford land owners the same courtesy.

I know many farmers, estate managers and keepers. I could pester these all for permission but they know where I am if they need me. My shooting permissions comes from joining game syndicates, wild fowling clubs, gun dog groups etc.

One large scale land owner and carrot grower extraordinaire in Lancashire has offered to let me and my boy go shoot a few rabbits walked up on his land, I haven’t taken him up on his offer yet as there is already a big syndicate on the land. He’s offered twice in general, if he offered a specific date etc I would agree.

I started knocking on doors more than 20 years ago. With lots of encouragement but little success due to land being tied up on shooting estates. My little brother did get a Saturday job at one farm, shot doves in the yard and enjoyed the experience. When my boys are older that’s what I would recommend to them. 

• 10 months later...

Some may disagree but I've put this to the test. A lot of it is down to how you look and sound, now I drive a van and I have a broad Yorkshire accent and a friend of mine drives a landrover a shiny one and he went to a top school and speaks well sounds educated but really he's as thick as treacle, anyway I called in at a far that had plenty of pigeons on the rape only to told we have someone one I even had my proof of BASC membership on me but nope no joy. A few days later my friend call in his shiny landrover with educated accent and no proof of BASC but surprisingly or not the answer was yeah certainly young man you can try these fields as well.

So my advise is find a mate with a posh voice and send him in.

London Best advice plus.   I spent a couple of years in my early twenties trying to sell farmers cattle feed and believe me they are the most difficult people to initially deal with. It aint easy.  Fortunately my reputation got me the areas I now shoot on passed on by another farmer

Visit local cattle sales and mix and let the subject float to the surface.  I am from farming stock and have seen how my grandfather handled reps selling things.  My father was a cattle dealer buying cattle all over the Midlands and East Anglia and he always said once you are asked into the kitchen by the farmers wife for a cuppa and a slice of cake you are in for ever.  So if you visit a farm, always the very best courteous approach to his wife.  It does no harm to doff the cap and say good morning Maam believe me.  It takes time and effort.

I suspect your early morning approaches might be a problem for some grumpy starters. Most of mine were got by asking tractor drivers. some were the right person, be surprised how they don't mind stopping for a quick break, and some weren't the boss but I'd ask them to let the boss know I'd be along to ask in a day or two so I was sort of expected - and the driver could give farmers his first impressions.