TEXT loads of pigeon -------

dead eye alan

Got that text from farmer drilling wheat yesterday at 11.18 am, now it's Friday and not a normal Friday it's good Friday. Not a normal shooting day and the wife was seeing a friend in the garden for the first time in six months, and I was the waiter! So a quick mention to the wife of said text and got the nod to go! A quick change of clothes and load up and go, now the said pigeons are in an area of 6 fields some drilled and rolled some still to do. The bird's were in the field by the narrow road which is very hard to shoot because its only 100 yards across and difficult to put a hide up. So I opted to build the hide on the far hedge from the road and shoot down the field ( well that was the plan ) 12 fuds 2 flappers and a magnet deployed. Wind in my face and hard to keep the hide from falling in on me the conditions were all wrong from the start, first birds in just as I pored the first cup of tea from the flask, typical happens every time,  spilt tea all down my leg and all over the gun!!! The traffic was non stop unusual for said road cyclists walkers dogs barking it was like being in the middle of town, not at all comfortable shooting. Not many birds returned but managed a meagre 5 picked for 14 packed up at 3.45, so returning today and will pick a better spot with the wind in the right direction and not by the road and hope for a more comfortable and productive day.

Yes, I feel for you. Just the same around here crowds of folks walking and cycling everywhere.  Two of the mountain bikers found in the middle of a field staring at there I Phones. I asked what they where planning to do and eventually they admitted they were lost. Riding around a field of mowing grass.  I told them where the public footpath was and made sure they found it. It is a serious problem at the moment with this corvid nonesnse but hope it will clear up soon and get back to near normal.

Heh!!!!   You didn't have to do your 'Faulty Towers Service' routine in the garden, so don't complain.:lol:

Same here with people all over, turned up at my perm to find cyclists, horse riders, ramblers, dog walkers and general litter trail leavers.

Spent almost 10 mins with the binos watching pigeon and crow being moved on, drove home. Not even got out of the car.

I'll not bother again now till Wednesday which is a shame as spring barley has just been planted. 

At least you managed to do something. 

How many of us get to a perm, select (carefully ) a spot for the hide, get settled in only to see all the birds going up the other end of the field, then sit there for several hours only to finish with a handful of birds and that terrible feeling that we could have done a lot better if only !!!!! Its the story of my life :yahoo:

It's just good to get out, isn't it?

It's not about the numbers (that's what I always tell myself) and recently it's just about getting out. In fact I think I enjoy it more just going for a drive with no kit in the car.

I get bored with some reports (everywhere not just on PW) that give scant detail (or colour) about the day, conditions, location etc in favour of "no sooner was I set up than two birds came in and were dispatched....within an hour I had 40 on the clicker.... we picked 108....blah blah blah". I would much rather read a report with details such as yours and not those where the bag is given most prominence.

Keep it up!

2 hours ago, Mightymariner said:

It's just good to get out, isn't it?

It's not about the numbers (that's what I always tell myself) and recently it's just about getting out. In fact I think I enjoy it more just going for a drive with no kit in the car.

I get bored with some reports (everywhere not just on PW) that give scant detail (or colour) about the day, conditions, location etc in favour of "no sooner was I set up than two birds came in and were dispatched....within an hour I had 40 on the clicker.... we picked 108....blah blah blah". I would much rather read a report with details such as yours and not those where the bag is given most prominence.

Keep it up!

I also enjoy getting out for a look around as much , if not more than the shooting side now , don't get me wrong , I wont want to look every day without the thought of never firing a shot but having the time and my main perm is near to hand I am out at least once every day of the week , I get a map of the land showing where all the various crops are going in and for the size of the perm you can look around a different place each day of the week , for the last several weeks it have been rape , now that is just about finished , today they were preparing the land for the Peas to go in during the week and another field next door for Spring barley , this field should have been Winter beans but at the time of drilling the land was to wet, it now work out at least three days looking and maybe one afternoon shooting , if it is cold or wet I will still go out but without any intention to shoot .

This time of the year is lovely , new plants and vegetation are coming up down the hedgerows and in the woods and any day now the first Swallow should be spotted , different species of Deer are everywhere and last week I spotted a pure white Fallow that looked like a Billy Goat , if the main reason to be out in the countryside is only to shoot pigeons then you can understand why so much pigeon shooting gear is always up for sale .

On 03/04/2021 at 09:28, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What made you set up in the wrong place with the wind in your face?

Only safe place to shoot from Dave. Saturday I was in the next field over North east wind over my right shoulder and a great hide position with no chance of intrusion, unfortunately only a small amount of birds about managed 8 for 12 and toughly enjoyed it.  

4 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

Only safe place to shoot from Dave. Saturday I was in the next field over North east wind over my right shoulder and a great hide position with no chance of intrusion, unfortunately only a small amount of birds about managed 8 for 12 and toughly enjoyed it.  

Fair enough, at least you got out and made the most of a poor situation!

Keep it up:good: